Another day in the lake District

thereyougo!

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last day in the lakes before I drive down to London tomorrow. Was a gorgeous and productive day - it ended with a few very long exposures as the the day ended. Freezing it was too!

All with Nikon D800E and Nikkor 24 - 70

These turkey seem to be doing a stand in protest at Thanksgiving and Christmas at Yew Tree farm close to Coniston. I got some Hogget (in between lamb and mutton) delicious it was too!

Are-you-sure-you-want-Turkey-for-Christmas- by singingsnapper, on Flickr

I drove up to Great Langdale and the clarity in the air was stunning:

The-Pikes-above-Elterwater by singingsnapper, on Flickr

3. Converted in Silver Efex

BW-view-above-Elterwater-village by singingsnapper, on Flickr

4. Late afternoon in Mickleden, means total shade:

Late-afternoon-in-Mickelden by singingsnapper, on Flickr

5. With tripod with me, I decided to head to the shores of Elterwater for some long exposures:

Trees-reflected-in-Elterwater by singingsnapper, on Flickr

6. 16 minute exposure

The-very-last-light-on-Elterwater by singingsnapper, on Flickr

7. 40 minute exposure

The-stars-are-spinning! by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Last edited:
In my opinion, the last is the best of the set. Id say almost every one of the others is very meh to me.

#5 and #6 seem underexposed to me. Maybe try bumping the shadows in Lightroom (the D800 gives you a LOT of headroom for that.)

Enjoyed your flickr. Lots of nice landscape work. Would be nice if you made a portfolio of your best work. Liked the dog too!

#5 and #6 seem underexposed to me. Maybe try bumping the shadows in Lightroom (the D800 gives you a LOT of headroom for that.)

I quite like them as they are. I tried lightening the shadows to 100%, but because I have Long Exposure Noise reduction set to off there is considerable noise (otherwise, I'd never get another shot at this time of day - having to wait for the dark frame subtraction would make 16 minute exposures purgatory - unless I bring my second body with me).

Here is another I shot earlier and is a 13 second exposure at f/8. Have brightened the shadows on this one. I don't want to brighten the shadows any more on this one, as otherwise I feel it will not be even a fair representation of what the scene looked like. I'm not a 'landscape prude' that expects to see the scene exactly as it was, but it needs to be in the ballpark. The shadows also look a little brighter on my retina display MBP, but flickr appears to have darkened it slightly

Light-fades-on-Elterwater by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Enjoyed your flickr. Lots of nice landscape work. Would be nice if you made a portfolio of your best work. Liked the dog too!

Thanks! I continue to work on my photography - waiting for my Pentax 645 ultra wide to come back from warranty repair - I like the 4:3 aspect of the 645D.

Great work. #2 and #4 are my favourites. Did you use a polarizer for those? I'm not bothered by the underexposed shots as I, too, like to shoot that way sometimes. I don't see the need for lifted shadows in an image like #5 for instance.

Great work. #2 and #4 are my favourites. Did you use a polarizer for those? I'm not bothered by the underexposed shots as I, too, like to shoot that way sometimes. I don't see the need for lifted shadows in an image like #5 for instance.

Thanks - I did use a polariser - I haven't carried any for ages, but its something that's not easily added in post effectively.

For me the extra shot in my second photo post is a different shot to no6. There are enough tones there I feel to show the lines. I may have another play with it to bring out the different tones a little more effectively, but I won't be dragging it out of shadow.

On the long exposure the last picture it would have been nice to see the landscape, but it also works like this for me. But the late afternoon in Mickleden has to be my favourite one. I'm a sucker for landscapes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back