Another decision...

GooniesNeverSayDie11

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If you had the choice between one of these two scenarios, which would you choose. Lets assume you don't already have lenses to cover this area.

1) Canon 28mm f/1.8, Canon 50mm f/1.4, and 85mm f/1.8

2) Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.8

I just ordered the 50mm and the 85mm, but I have an offer to sell the 17-40 that would allow me to buy the 28mm as well as something else ( possibly a used set of pocket wizards or a 430ex to compliment my 580ex. ) I am worried that I would miss the convenience of the zoom. However, if I ever really needed a zoom for like a wedding, I could always easily rent one ( and a 2.8 would be better anyway ) Typically I shoot towards the wide end of that focal range, and often times take off the 17-40 in favor of the 10-22.

Just curious what others would do.

Even though the 17-40 is my favorite lens on FF

i assume you are on a crop sensor and shoot weddings and on a crop sensor the 17-40 range sucks
i would get the 28 or a 35

I'd go with the 17-40 option. I am a zoom kind of girl for weddings and events.
I have a 17-50 for my crop sensor and as much as I love it, I tend to get into trouble with it for portraits with the barrel distortion. Otherwise? it's invaluable to me. I just need to remember to pay attention to what I am shooting.

Yeah, I am on a 7D. I don't shoot weddings often, but would pick one up if the opportunity presented itself. Ideally, I would get the 35mm f/1.4L but cannot afford it now.

I had the 28mm 1.8 and it didn't impress me for the money. It was alright, but not $500 alright... If you really need something faster than the 17-40 maybe look at the EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS? Besides that it's a much a steeper budget to the 24 1.4 or 35 1.4. (That being said, my 35 1.4 is on the camera more than anything else)

The only way I could get the 35mm right now would be by selling my 400mm f/5.6 and I definitely do not want to do that.

To me getting all kinds of primes right now is not very beneficial. You want to focus your money. If I had to start over, I probably go with 24L, 85 sigma, 60mm macro with 2 full frames. Thats it. I can shoot weddings for sure with those 3. Or if you are afraid with not having longer lens, replace 85 with 70-200 2.8L. I just hate changing lenses or carrying many lenses.

I agree its an odd assortment .....I think a zoom at the longer F/L is important, just as as shorter one in the 10-20/22 range. I don't know what Goonies wants to focus on and so his efforts might be of a less than general focus. I'm stumped though with the items.

To me getting all kinds of primes right now is not very beneficial. You want to focus your money. If I had to start over, I probably go with 24L, 85 sigma, 60mm macro with 2 full frames. Thats it. I can shoot weddings for sure with those 3. Or if you are afraid with not having longer lens, replace 85 with 70-200 2.8L. I just hate changing lenses or carrying many lenses.

I have a 70-200. So I have the wide end (10-22) and the long end (70-200 and 400mm ) but I am trying to decide whether to replace that 17-40. I really don't use it that often. I am just worried that as soon as I did sell it, I would miss it.

Note: I never said that this was all the gear I owned, I was just asking about that specific focal length range and what others would prefer having. Since I already ordered the 50mm and 85mm, it really boils down to, is the 28mm good enough to be my only focal length in the 22-49mm range.

I think you are covered with what you have. I think if you sell the 17-40 you will not miss it on the 7D.

If you really want to get into wedding, you really need to start thinking about what 2 combos you want on 2 cameras. Thats it. Other lenses you will hardly use (or will be used when people start dancing like UWA). What combo, that depends on your shooting style. If i were you, I focus my money on 24L instead of 3 primes. Pair 24 with your 70-200, you can do weddings no problemo. 24 is fantastic on either crop or full frame. Sell the 17-40L if you have to.

Option #2, clearly. Why? The focal length flexibility of 17-40MM ZOOM IS TREMENDOUS. It has a 17,18,20,21,24,28,35,and 40mm lens...all in one tube--plus additional in-between lengths! Just lots more FL flexibility than a 28mm prime.

Option #2, clearly. Why? The focal length flexibility of 17-40MM ZOOM IS TREMENDOUS. It has a 17,18,20,21,24,28,35,and 40mm lens...all in one tube--plus additional in-between lengths! Just lots more FL flexibility than a 28mm prime.

If fixed on a crop then take/trade for the 17-55....

Most reactions

Back