Another example of RAW processing

nmoody

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Things are starting to bloom here and I took a walk and took some quick pictures. I took them back home and loaded up my trusty Lightroom 4 to see if any pictures were worth while working on. The picture in question I was originally very disappointed with it due to the sky being so washed out blue. I also had under exposed it a fair amount, so much that I originally marked it for deletion. It was pretty bad and missed the mark completely.

Here is the unprocessed picture:
_DSC8346_orig.jpg

Pretty bad huh?

And here is the edited Lightroom 4 version:
_DSC8346.jpg

Now I am not saying this picture is amazing, its purpose is to show the drastic turn around from something that was garbage to something pretty. It shows that with just a little RAW processing you can really turn something around.

What I specifically did to the picture was mainly playing with luminosity and saturation of individual colors, killing blues and bringing out pinks and magenta's. I did do some exposure and tint work as well as sharpening but the individual color channel work was what really saved this one.

Its another reason to switch to RAW for those who have not yet.

Well I really like your image! it turned out beautiful!

I've been on vacation and started shooting in RAW for a class called Digital Darkroom that I'm taking. I've seen a lot of what can be done using Light Room so I'm looking forward to the class. My question is, what color was the real life background before you took a picture and it came out blue?

I've been on vacation and started shooting in RAW for a class called Digital Darkroom that I'm taking. I've seen a lot of what can be done using Light Room so I'm looking forward to the class. My question is, what color was the real life background before you took a picture and it came out blue?

The sky was a very light blue. The exposure surely played a role but I also failed at white balance. I metered against the white flower which was my first mistake. It threw almost everything else off.

If I used a grey card before taking the picture I would of had a much better result.

but does white balance in-camera really matter if you're shooting raw?

Technically I guess it doesn't, but saves time if you don't have to fix it in PP.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back