another exposure question: ISO 100 film set at 400

explody pup

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay, so I put a roll of 100 speed film in my camera since we were going to the park and it was very bright out. For the first 3 photos, I forgot that my camera was still set for 400 speed film and promptly set it to 100. Out of the entire roll, those first three photos were the clearest and has the best colors, by far. Everything else was either washed out or on the verge and blurry, for the most part, since it was all hand-held.

I did something similar a while ago with 400 speed film set at 800 and got similar results. I was expecting the photos to be underexposed but they turned out great.

Can anyone here explain how this worked out as well as it did?

Is it a common practice for people to set their film speed higher on the camera than what it's officially rated for?

Thanks.

The higher ISO setting was giving you 2 extra stops of shutter speed, so that probably explains why they didn't have as much camera shake.

If you are shooting in the midday sun at the recommended exposure (without a polarizer) I would expect things like foliage to look blown out and contrasty, that's just the way the light is. By underexposing you actually reduced the contrast, and with negative film a decent printer (as in a person sitting at a lab printing machine) shouldn't have too much trouble getting good prints from an exposure up to 2 stops off "normal".

Comparing the negatives the underexposure would probably be more evident, but here it worked for you.

Most reactions

Back