Another failed Brenizer

jowensphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Maybe not a total failure, but certainly not what it was supposed to look like. I kinda dig it though.

$brenizeredited copy.jpg

Try getting much closer to the subject-- you need much more background de-focus for it to even beging looking like Brenizer Method.

https://www.google.com/search?q=brenizer%20method&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=&safe=active&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

I figured that's where I was wrong - using 105mm and quite far away from the fountain. Annnnd 3.7 fps sucks. ;)

I kind of don't mind the look here, but I am still working to master the technique. Thanks for the link :)

Try getting much closer to the subject-- you need much more background de-focus for it to even beging looking like Brenizer Method.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bre...ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

I figured that's where I was wrong - using 105mm and quite far away from the fountain. Annnnd 3.7 fps sucks. ;)

I kind of don't mind the look here, but I am still working to master the technique. Thanks for the link :)

There's a very good chance a shot such as this one took 30 or 40 shots to make. When I've done Brenizer in the past I do single successive shots, but 3.7fps high speed burst should be plenty adequate, as long as you are adjusting focus during the shots.

Ideally you want to shoot this type of shot with a very shallow depth of field and close to the subject.

Keep in mind that a crop sensor is going to require about twice as many shots as a full frame sensor to get to the same territory.

https://www.google.com/search?q=brenizer%20method&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=&safe=active&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Definitely too far away and you need a longer focal length. The longer the better since if adds to the DOF. Use as shallow a DOF as possible. YOu want the subject to be highly isolated.

THink of it this way. This technique is like shooting a head and shoulders portrait with a really shallow dof. BUt the trick is that you then take a bunch of shots with those same settings and stitch it like a pano.

Keep in mind that a crop sensor is going to require about twice as many shots as a full frame sensor to get to the same territory.

Not really. You can do it with like 6-9 shots but you have to have the correct subject matter to begin with. Robin has done it with only 6 shots and got great results. Granted he does have a FF but that really doesnt make any difference in the use of the technique.

Refer to tutorial here.

The Brenizer Method Explained With Directions | San Francisco Bay Area Editorial Story-telling Wedding Photography

No. With a crop sensor you need about twice as many shots to get the same overall "look" as you do with a FF sensor. You might be able to do it with 6-9 shots for some specific scene, but then you can do with with 3-5 shots with a FF sensor on that same scene.

ETA: Heck, you can get a nice Brenizer-type effect with one shot if you use a 1 inch tall bride and a macro lens. My point is that in an apples to apples comparision, you're going to need 2x as many exposures, with the crop sensor.

Last edited:
You dont burst the shot. Take your time and make sure you dont have camera shake. Just shoot it slowly and overlap your shot 1/3 of the frame. Make sure the focus point does not change (back button focus or manual).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back