Another Hassy Newb

JohnMF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I just bought a Hasselblad 500cm... and i must admit, I'm having a few problems understanding how to use it. :confused:

It's the Planar 80mm lens which i think is causing me the most confusion. No matter what i have set the shutter speed to (what i believe is the shutter speed anyway), it seems to fire only in bulb mode. I don't get it.

I've had a look on google but can't find anything relevant (even the 500cm manual doesn't explain the lenses functions). It's prob something simple, but has anyone got any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

*EDIT*

On further inspection, I've noticed that the shutter in the lens, works independently from the other shutter at the back of the camera (which operates directly in accordance with how long the shutter is actually depressed for). Is this normal? Is this a feature of the 500cm I need to get used to then? I imagine it could cause a few exposure probs if your not used to it.

Last edited:
John, the 'shutter' in the camera body are the light baffles which are closed normally in order to allow the mirror to come down. Every time you fire: first the mirror goes and stays up, baffles open just before the shutter in the lens opens. It'll stay that way until you wind up the film again which engages and cocks the shutter in the lens and that's when the baffles close and mirror comes down again. If you want to shoot with a low speed (i.e. 1/2, 1 or on B) you might want to consider releasing and locking up the mirror and opening the baffles, hence eliminating extra vibrations. There is a small black rectangular tab on the right side of the camera (lens facing away from you) which will release and lock the mirror up and open the light baffles as well. Just depress it upwards and it'll do it. However, do not detach/attach a lens to the body without making sure the shutter is cocked, otherwise you'll jam the Hassy. It's not hard to unjam but avoid it if you can.

Oh, BTW... Congrats on the Hassy!

thanks for the reply Mitica.

Yeah, it's taking some getting used to. It seems like a completely different animal to what I'm used to (SLR's mostly).

I was saving up for a 5d mkII but it was taking too long, so i gave in and spent my money on the Hassy, loads of film, some developing kit, and a scanner... so glad it did. :)

You're welcome! You'll love the Hassy feel. ;)

Got any photos to post from it?

no, not yet I'm afraid. I've got a roll of Portra 160vc loaded in the back, just waiting for better weather and a bit of free time to get out and use it.

Hey, at the side of your lens you will see v x m, make sure to set the lens to x, this will allow the lens to shoot at the shutter speed you set it to. I suggest taking the back off and getting really used to the controls before you start shooting with it.

good luck and have fun... the camera is really great once you get it going

OK, this deserves an explanation:

X setting is for normal flash operation (regular electronic flashes);
M setting is for bulb flash setting;
V (from Vorlaufwerk = selftimer) is used for selftimer operation.

Hope this helps.

ok, I'll have to double check that.

I haven't even got through my first roll yet. I really need to make more time to take photos these days...

Most reactions

Back