Another HDR attempt...C&C

Ok here's another try. This one was from a very slightly different series of photos than the one in my first post. I tried to leave the halo out, although I wasn't able to do it entirely (I'm still brand new to HDR, trying to figure it out). The colors in this one are closer to the natural color as well.

Untitled_HDR3small.jpg

I like this new edit better than the first. How about tweaking it a little further like this? Unfortunately, the PP I did caused a little artifacting because of the small file size, but it gives you a possible direction if you like the edit.
bbzfo5

Ok here's another try. This one was from a very slightly different series of photos than the one in my first post. I tried to leave the halo out, although I wasn't able to do it entirely (I'm still brand new to HDR, trying to figure it out). The colors in this one are closer to the natural color as well.

Untitled_HDR3small.jpg

I like this new edit better than the first. How about tweaking it a little further like this? Unfortunately, the PP I did caused a little artifacting because of the small file size, but it gives you a possible direction if you like the edit.
bbzfo5

I really like the 2nd edit! but i love Oldmacman's edit. great job guys. Makes me want to try! keep up the good work.

Is the glow intentional?

Usually a glow in HDR says its overdone. In this case its overdone.

Why use HDR for this shot? Its not needed.

I love doing HDR, the correct way, but when I keep seeing these style of pictures, it makes me dislike HDR.

Why use HDR for this shot? This is why. This is one of the totally unedited jpegs that was used for the HDR shot. I still had SOME detail in the sky, but not very much.

IMG_8298.jpg

I am admittedly new to HDR, but last I checked there wasn't a concrete "right" or "wrong" way to do it.

I know several photographers who swear by film and film alone, and say that digital is a disgrace to the true artform of photography. Are they right, because they do it the "correct" way?

Please read to understand the reasons to use HDR. I have no problem with people having fun, but you asked for C&C, and I gave it.

High dynamic range imaging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And here is a quick edit of what you can get with that picture...
IMG_8298.jpg
Surely you're joking..the hdr is a thousand times better than that. just because hdr was invented to increase dynamic range doesn't mean you can't use it creatively.

Is the glow intentional?

Usually a glow in HDR says its overdone. In this case its overdone.

Why use HDR for this shot? Its not needed.

I love doing HDR, the correct way, but when I keep seeing these style of pictures, it makes me dislike HDR.

Why use HDR for this shot? This is why. This is one of the totally unedited jpegs that was used for the HDR shot. I still had SOME detail in the sky, but not very much.

IMG_8298.jpg

I am admittedly new to HDR, but last I checked there wasn't a concrete "right" or "wrong" way to do it.

I know several photographers who swear by film and film alone, and say that digital is a disgrace to the true artform of photography. Are they right, because they do it the "correct" way?

It doesn't matter if you've lost detail in the sky your subject is the vehicle and not the sky. Overblowing your processing to include detail in the sky is making your subject look less and less attractive.

Photographers can swear by film and film alone if they want. But you're using digital, and asking for criticism. Essentially you're right though, photography is a creative medium, there are no right or wrong ways. There are though, tried and tested methods and studies which show what makes an attractive photo as opposed to an unattractive one, these studies work quite well.

Surely you're joking..the hdr is a thousand times better than that. just because hdr was invented to increase dynamic range doesn't mean you can't use it creatively.

Haha, thanks for your input:thumbdown:

Its not like I had the best image to begin with. And Yes this is way better than the HDR. I find the HDR to be a disgrace.

Its not like I had the best image to begin with. And Yes this is way better than the HDR. I find the HDR to be a disgrace.

People put their work out there and ask for C&C to get better. It's no different than asking about fill light, flash synch speed and portrait tips. :sexywink:

I agree, I gave my Comments and Critique.

I agree, I gave my Comments and Critique.

Are you confusing criticism and critique? Criticism expresses disapproval, while a critique is an analysis of the work that often provides an avenue for improvement.

To be really helpful, you could share your experience with the HDRs you have done and suggest how to tackle the perceived issues. To paraphrase, it would be like someone saying to you - "I love doing portraits, the correct way, but when I keep seeing these style of pictures, it makes me dislike portraits."

How do I get better when my critique is - this HDR is a disgrace?

I like the original HDR posted better than the Non HDR and edits. It's just much more interesting to me. The second HDR attempt has some kind of fluorescent blood dripping under the wheel well :lol:

BTW, halos usually suck... but I rather like it on this first shot.

Neither did the OP, yet he managed to produce a better final result..IMO. Your attitude sucks.

Most reactions

Back