Another "how do I get this look/effect"

The only obvious post production is the desaturation. That's easy, just go to hue/saturation and slide down the saturation.

Defnately desaturation. This shot has more to do with lighting than post processing.

I actually use photoshop to create two duplicate layers of the original image, I then transform the lower one to sepia and change the opacity of the full colour one to experiment with a similar kind of look

Thanks everyone. I sort of thought there was some saturation. Shame about the lighting, I was hoping it could've been done in Photoshop... :(

Don't worry, you can actually do this effect in photoshop!

Here's the before picture
howdoi1a.jpg

And after..
howdoi2b.jpg

1. Open your image and duplicate it twice (Ctrl+J)
2. Change the blending mode of the top layer to "Soft Light"
3. Desaturate the layer under that one (Ctrl+U)
4. You can adjust the opacity of the desaturated layer to adjust the effect to your pleasing.

5. To add the shadows/darker edges etc, create a new layer (Ctrl+Shift+N), choose a blending mode of "Soft Light". Then just use the brush tool set to black to go over the parts you want to darken.

Hope that's the effect you were looking for, and that this has helped you!

I learned this from a Lynda.com tutorial done by Chris Orwig if you want to look up more on it.

isn't this called Split Toning?

if this is what you are looking for, give THIS a hit, looks good!

isn't this called Split Toning?

if this is what you are looking for, give THIS a hit, looks good!

Split toning is a little different. That's when you add a color to a particular range of tones in a black and white image. It's a cool effect and can look great, but it's not the technique that the poster was looking for.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back