Another "How Was This Shot Achieved" Thread :O

PatrickCheung

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
thanks a lot if you even bothered to open this haha. anyway, i was wondering how you get those shots where the background is pitch black and the only thing you can see (and is properly exposed) is the subject.

Last edited:
I want those shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p thanks guys. helpful links :] and YES those kicks are awesome. :]

Take the light source, and put it really close to the subject. Keep the background as far away from the subject as possible. That'll hopefully make the background something like f/0 and the subject f/bazillion. (Over-exaggerating but I hope you get the idea.) Light has a depth of field, so to speak, and if you place it really close to the subject, you can make the fall-off so extreme that your chosen aperture doesn't let the miniscule amount of light from the background in.

Then just PP out whatever the shoes were sitting on, which could be black, or white to provide fill.

And the WB in that image is a little off. Needs to be cooled a little, with a touch less magenta.

And the ToS for TPF doesn't let you directly post images that you don't have copyright to. Link to it instead. ;)

That image is made in PS (Look very close at the bottom right of the shoe on the heel, see the white line? they used the pen tool to render them.)

Hey PatrickCheung,

It's not cool to post images that aren't yours.

In fact, TPF has some Rules and Regs about doing that.

"* You agree to only post images and/or other material to which you have exclusive copyright, or permission from the copyright holder that you are able to present to TPF Staff. Under no circumstances will any instance of copyright infringement be tolerated. "

Posting a link instead, works.

Last edited:
It has a really weird blacklight look to it, even though I'm sure that has nothing to do about it. But something about the image makes me think of blacklights and the 80's.

Hey PatrickCheung,

It's not cool to post images that aren't yours.

In fact, TPF has some Rules and Regs about doing that.

"* You agree to only post images and/or other material to which you have exclusive copyright, or permission from the copyright holder that you are able to present to TPF Staff. Under no circumstances will any instance of copyright infringement be tolerated. "

Posting a link instead, works.

tyvm, ive been looking for the rules :p

sorry sorry, i'll remove that pic right away, havent been on this forum for a while :O

Most reactions

Back