Another idea to add to my equipment

rwphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so, i am still doing some research before i purchase new equipment. i want a 5d and a 70-200mm L lens. the reason why i wasnt specific is because of what ive been reading. i did my research on the 5d mark ii and because of the high iso, the camera can shoot in near dark conditions. with that said, i was thinking about pairing that camera with the 70-200mm f/4 is. i was wondering, could or should i go with the better lens (2.8 is) and get the original 5d used (which i can get) or get a used copy of the 5d mark ii and pair that with the f/4 is? basically, should i go with the better body and really good lens or should a go with a good body and a really really good lens? thanks in advanced!

5D and 70-200 f/2.8 IS. You wont regret it. Or looka around for used mk.II's. what is your budget?

Last edited:
%D and 70-200 f/2.8 IS. You wont regret it. Or looka around for used mk.II's. what is your budget?

My budget is somewhere around 3k to 3,500. ive tried looking for used mk ii's. the only one i have found so far was one for $2500 on craigslist and cant afford that with the 2.8is. i figure with the scenarios above, i'd be spending around the same money

I'd do the 5DII and the 70-200 f/4, definitely.

The files out of the 5DII are just too good to pass up. Not to mention the LCD screen isn't green on the 5DII.

I'd do the 5DII and the 70-200 f/4, definitely.

The files out of the 5DII are just too good to pass up. Not to mention the LCD screen isn't green on the 5DII.

thats what i was leaning towards. But, i've heard so much of what the 2.8 can do and i was thinking to myself wouldnt the f/4 is paired with the 5d mk ii kinda counter act that because of the ridiculous iso?

Dude it all depends on what you want. Do you need the speed when shooting? are you shooting sports? are you going to be on a tripod? If you are going to be on a tripod most of the time then get the 2.8 non is. Thats what I have. I shoot it handheld for sports, portraits etc. And I have no problem with it. I do have a pretty steady hand though. If you care about weight then get the f4 version. Because my roomate has the f4 is and his is about half the weight of mine. But mine looks more bada$$ :D . But I would definately do the 5d mark ii over the 5d classic. If you wait a bit it might go down in price a good amount due to the 7d coming out. Hope this helps.

Dude it all depends on what you want. Do you need the speed when shooting? are you shooting sports? are you going to be on a tripod? If you are going to be on a tripod most of the time then get the 2.8 non is. Thats what I have. I shoot it handheld for sports, portraits etc. And I have no problem with it. I do have a pretty steady hand though. If you care about weight then get the f4 version. Because my roomate has the f4 is and his is about half the weight of mine. But mine looks more bada$$ :D . But I would definately do the 5d mark ii over the 5d classic. If you wait a bit it might go down in price a good amount due to the 7d coming out. Hope this helps.

Yeah your right. I might just wait on the mk ii and just get the lens now. I shouldve mentioned from the get go I have a 50d which is wonderful. But, I really want a 5d. I've tried out the mk ii and fell in LOVE :lmao:. But i may just get the 2.8is now and wait for either a price drop or another one of those Canon rebates

I'm not a Canon shooter, so I can't give any advice on the camera choices, but my 2cents would be to get the best glass that you can, then put a camera behind it. Good glass will likely stay with you for a lot longer than the camera will.

On my side of the isle, you take a 70-200mm 2.8 and slap it on the front of a 7 year old D70, and you can get some fantastic photos.

I'm not a Canon shooter, so I can't give any advice on the camera choices, but my 2cents would be to get the best glass that you can, then put a camera behind it. Good glass will likely stay with you for a lot longer than the camera will.
I'm a Canon shooter and that would be my advice...get a used 5D and the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM now. You can always get the 5D Mk II later.

Prices will eventually come down on the 5D Mk II but will just continue to go up with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (and all the other Canon lenses).

I have the 5D and the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM and they're a very nice (but heavy) combination. I got lucky when I got my EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM...bought it right before the last price increase and saved $450. Got it for $1500 with the Canon Spring Rebates...can't believe it's going for $1950 now.

Hey everyone!!!! Thanks so much for all of the info. I ended up going with the f/2.8 non-IS. The 800 dollars I saved gave me the opportunity to purchase a nice mono pod, faster 16gb CF card ( i had two cheap 8gb cards), a 2x teleconverter, and I may go get a better flash. I will upload pictures later today. I'm going out now to shoot, just decided to drop by here first to say thank you to everyone!!!!!!! ;)

Most reactions

Back