Another Lens Advice

Leo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently bought the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 lens but wasn't happy with the lens so I returned it back. It was too soft on the 70mm end and zoom ring was way too stiff. I would like to replace my 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens for a faster lens. I already have the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens and I love it. I need a walkaround zoom lens like my 28-135mm but I need a larger aperture. the extra 20mm from the Sigma did not cut it. I need more focal length.

I am looking at the Canon 24-105 f/4L lens but the aperture is not large enough. Any suggestion as to what other lens I can look into? This would primary be used for weddings and debuts. I don't mind third party lenses, but would rather stick with Canon lenses.

The Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 USM L, one of the best zoom lenses Canon makes, and the most useful in my arsenal.

Really expensive too (for an SLR lens)... but worth every penny.

thanks....yes I am considering that lens too....but I need the extra focal length...I guess I can use my legs to zoom in like I do with my Tamron.

I was in the exact same predicament as you were. I returned my sigma 24-70 f/2.8 for exactly the same reason. I ranted on another thread about it earlier. I am unable to find a lens in that range to replace my 17-85 IS kit lens with a large aperature so I settled on the 24-105 f/4 L IS. I mostly shoot outdoor nature stuff so the lens is perfect in that respect. Great range, constant f/4 and IS. Image quality is fantastic. Contrast and color is amazing. Even compared to my 70-200 f/2.8 L IS! Focusing is fast except in really low light situations. Like I said, a bit faster would be perfect but there is just no such thing on the market yet in that range. I just might pick up a fast prime or wide-zoom to compliment this one. Maybe a 50 f/1.4 or 16-35 f/2.8 L. The 24-70 f/2.8 would be nice, but it will just overlap the range I currently have. In a perfect world Canon will hopefully make the 24-105 in f/2.8. One can only pray.

thanks....yes I am considering that lens too....but I need the extra focal length...I guess I can use my legs to zoom in like I do with my Tamron.

I shoot a 30D and have the following lineup of lenses. Works great and covers the whole range.

Canon 10-22 f3.5-4.5
Canon 24-70 f2.8L
Canon 70-200 f2.8L
Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (pretty much gathers dust in the bag these days)
Canon 50 f1.4
Canon 85 f1.8
Canon 100mm f2.8 macro
Canon 135 f2L
1.4 telecoverter

If you are looking for wider consider the 10-22. Great piece of glass.

Thank you for all your advice/suggestions. I am gonna have to bite the bullet and get the 24-70 f/2.8L lens.

Thank you for all your advice/suggestions. I am gonna have to bite the bullet and get the 24-70 f/2.8L lens.

Leo, I think you will love the quality of the 24-70 f2.8L but keep in mind, with your lens list you have nothing in the ultra wide range. If you don't need something there then you are doing fine.

Like I said, my poor Tamron is getting lonely, as I just never use it anymore. The 24-70 has me spoiled real bad.:)

Leo, I think you will love the quality of the 24-70 f2.8L but keep in mind, with your lens list you have nothing in the ultra wide range. If you don't need something there then you are doing fine.

Like I said, my poor Tamron is getting lonely, as I just never use it anymore. The 24-70 has me spoiled real bad.:)

Thanks...I don't think I'd need an ultra wide lens. I think the Tamron should be good for those group formal shots. I think I am going to be spoiled too with the 24-70

It's coming, it's coming, 1 more day till UPS shows up on my door. I hope I don't get disappointed, review to follow.

I greatly doubt you will be dissappointed with the 24-70 f/2.8 L. It's probably one of Canon's sharpest lenses. It just might not be long enough for what you want to replace.

I've heard nothing but good things about the 24-70 F2.8 L. The only down side is that it's rather large and heavy.

I also have the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 and find that I'm wishing for more focal length. I wouldn't want to give up the wide end or the large aperture though. I do find that when I'm in good light, I use my 17-85 IS lens quite a bit.

I would really like to own the 17-55 F2.8 IS, for the wide aperture and IS...but it's still a bit short. I'd like to see a 17-85 F2.8 IS, that would be nice.

whooohoooo....got it today, nice. it's large and heavy like Mike said. AF is quiet and fast. bokeh is stunning, so far i am happy, i'll post some pictures later.

IMG_3427a.jpg

Just went around my backyard to find something I could take a picture of.

Most reactions

Back