Another lighting questions

Shipping on light stands is VERY costly. Maybe you could get the monolights ONLY,and then buy light stands from within Canada. The $170 shipping cost is largely due to the carrying case and stands, both of which create a long package.

Two AB's + Softbox shipped for $75 more sound like a good deal. The shipping costs seem EXTREME to me...just simply OUT-freaking-rageous...

How about a Calumet Genesis, two-monolight outfit, from a Canadian Calumet outlet? Do they have Calumet in Canada? I know they are in the USA and the UK,and the Genesis mono's have a pretty good reputation,and reasonable specs and prices.

One thing to watch out for is Brokerage. Just about all shipments from the US are subject to brokerage fees...and when you ship ground, those fees might be a surprise (I'm not sure how to accurately calculate them). But if you ship via an Airmail service, the brokerage fees are included (and thus not a surprise).

After trying a few things, I've found that UPS Expedited is the best option to choose. It's more expensive than ground shipping but there is no 'extra' brokerage. Plus it's fast. On more than one occasion, I've ordered from Alienbee, and have received my good the next day.

And yes, it really is the big/long products that increase the shipping. Getting stands locally would be good, if you can get a good deal. Unfortunately, I haven't seen too many good deals on that type of stuff up here.

Adorama is a big store and has a good reputation, no problem there. Alienbee (Paul Buff) isn't perfect, but they do have exceptional customer service.

Nope, seen them in the photomags occasionally never really looked into them. If I buy Canadian I tend to use the CameraStore they sometimes give me a discount. But there single light units are really overpriced. I mean one unit 150w for 450 bucks is a lot when I can get two B's for 500 and 75 shipping. I will take a peek at Henry's though and see what they have.

I doubt you'll find much of a deal from Henry's, unless it's a sale or something.

Most places will price match identical products, so if you can find something particular at Henry's or McBain's or even Best Buy etc., then just ask The Camera Store to match it.

Still, I've found that most things are still a lot more expensive than they are when ordering from the US, even with currency & shipping etc.

I haven't clicked on all the links, but I wanted to mention that if you're mounting a studio strobe and a soft box, a medium or heavy duty light stand with a boom arm is worth looking at. Air-cushioned is a bonus. Counter-weights also. How about casters for the stand? It just never ends..............

I use the CyberSync's also and they have yet to fail.

I'm looking at the AB B800 myself and blending it with my flash units. Trying to decide which modifiers to get with them.

Yup Im going to go with a heavy duty light stand and I have a couple of wheat&sand bags I use for weights with my light stand that I currently have. I need a boom arm though that can dble to hold my reflector. Only modifiers I am trying is the big softbox and maybe a snoot. That should do for a start I think.

So I am biting the bullet. Going to order the Bee's a 400, an 800, an extra large softbox, the heavy duty stand, barn doors a set of gels and a replacement bulb just in case. Super excited and can't wait to play. Am i missing anything else?

So I am biting the bullet. Going to order the Bee's a 400, an 800, an extra large softbox, the heavy duty stand, barn doors a set of gels and a replacement bulb just in case. Super excited and can't wait to play. Am i missing anything else?

Triggers?

Going to use the sync cords they come with first and see. I might pick up a Lightrein radio trigger from the camerastore if its compatible its cheap. Unit and receiver is 100 bucks. But eventually will probably go to PW since they are fricking cool.

Going to use the sync cords they come with first and see.

That's all I'd ever used until my new studio and it worked just fine. Plug into the closest light and you're good. The only reason I have now gone wireless is because my strobe company gave me the gear to do so.

We love gadgets and that's fine but a lot of them (most?) don't make life any easier or better or ...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back