Another "lighting" test I wanted to share :)

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I got my flash bounce/soft box type thing today from Adorama. I got the Lumiquest ProMax UltraSoft Bounce Flash Device (LQ103 LumiQuest ProMax Ultrasoft Bounce Flash Device). I decided to do a few "test" shots with it of Caleb sitting on the floor watching TV... So, it's nothing special, but here we go :)

The settings were the same for all 3 images. I had my Vivitar 285hv set at 1/2 power (It's a manual flash, so it doesn't matter what the camera settings are, the flash is what gets adjusted mostly rather than the settings on the camera). My camera settings were:

Shutter speed: 1/200
Aperture: F/5.6
ISO: 400

PLEASE IGNORE THE PILE OF DIRTY CLOTHES! TOMORROW IS LAUNDRY DAY! LOL

Image 1:
This is with the softbox on my flash and my flash pointed straight up at the ceiling. The softbox/bounce card directs the flash at a 90 degree angle and then diffuses it giving off this lighting.
February+01%252C+2011.jpg

Image 2:
This is with the softbox off and the flash pointed straight at the ceiling. This essentially just bounces the light of the flash off the ceiling in order to light up the room.
February+01%252C+2011-2.jpg

Image 3:
This is bare flash pointed directly at a 90 degree angle towards Caleb. Yuck!
February+01%252C+2011-3.jpg

Just sharing :)

Last edited:
Use #3 and you can avoid doing laundry...whites are whiter!

I wonder how long it would take to clone out that skidmark.........:lol:

You didn't use ETTL did you?

hahah shut up! those are my 5 year old daughter's underwear! Jeeez!!! I'm not taking offense to that, but in her defense, she has developmental delays and doesn't "function" like a normal 5 year old...

Well, they aren't properly lit so you can't compare them. First two are under, last one is over.

hahah shut up! those are my 5 year old daughter's underwear! Jeeez!!! I'm not taking offense to that, but in her defense, she has developmental delays and doesn't "function" like a normal 5 year old...

I hate to break it to you, but even with my boys at 8 and 12.......... it doesn't get any better. :lmao:

I would try it again and go for more even exposure between the three.

For a better test, adjust the the settings so that the exposure is consistent. You should be looking at the quality of the light, not necessarily how bright it is. For example, look at the shadows...where they fall & how soft their edges are etc.

The first two look petty well under exposed. There's very little benefit to be gained in using a diffuser and then doing a bounce flash with it--unless you're inside of a telephone booth, a car, or a small room aboard a ship or boat. Or in a submarine. Or a Haitian hut. Or a pup tent. Or a shanty. Or a tree fort. Or a dollhouse.

For a better test, adjust the the settings so that the exposure is consistent. You should be looking at the quality of the light, not necessarily how bright it is. For example, look at the shadows...where they fall & how soft their edges are etc.

thanks for the suggestion . I will try that when I get out of class. I did not think of that because I was thinking more about how the light changes with or without the diffuser.

Have you tired dragging the shutter with just bouncing your flash.
Do this test.

ss 1/40 iso 400 and f4

have your kid do jumping jacks or something where he/she is moving.

check out the results!

Your subject should be frozen with the flash and the slow shutter speed lets the avaliable light in!

I was going nuts over this, infact, I think I'll take some shots today and blog about it.

I am confused as why you are bouncing and putting it in a softbox?

Have you tired dragging the shutter with just bouncing your flash.
Do this test.

ss 1/40 iso 400 and f4

have your kid do jumping jacks or something where he/she is moving.

check out the results!

Your subject should be frozen with the flash and the slow shutter speed lets the avaliable light in!

I was going nuts over this, infact, I think I'll take some shots today and blog about it.

I am confused as why you are bouncing and putting it in a softbox?

Click the link in my first post. It is all one piece. Not really sure how to describe it...

Will definitely try out that test though :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back