Another monitor question

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all. If i get a monitor to hook up to my laptop and calibrate it, would that be as effective for editing as a pc and monitor or is there a reason i am unaware of that it is not as good? Thanks

The graphics card in a laptop is usually not as good as what can be added to a desktop computer.

For instance, beginning with CS4 Photoshop was able to utilize Open GL. Open GL uses the GPU (graphics processing unit) on the graphics card to speed up some Photoshop graphics functions.

ACR (Camera Raw/Lightroom) is not GPU accelerated.

GPU, OpenGL support | Photoshop CS4, CS5

Thanks. Is it correct so to say it will work but slower?

Maybe a little, but it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Much more important is how fast your processor is and how much RAM you have.

In general, you should be fine if you use your laptop machine with a good external monitor to serve as you workstation.

Thanks. I never had a problem with its speed now but getting colours consistent is tougher. A monitor should be my next purchase. Thanks for the input

Don't forget to factor in a calibration system (if you don't have one already).

No I don't. Hoping I can borrow one but to be honest the monitor is a bit of the way off anyway. Fingers crossed for the lotto this weekend

No I don't. Hoping I can borrow one
The device by itself is useless, you need the software to run it. And sharing software usually isn't legal. Besides, it's not a one time thing, you're supposed to recalibrate on a regular basis...weekly, monthly etc.

No I don't. Hoping I can borrow one
The device by itself is useless, you need the software to run it. And sharing software usually isn't legal. Besides, it's not a one time thing, you're supposed to recalibrate on a regular basis...weekly, monthly etc.
I had not realised that. I will in time get one, initially I was hoping to borrow but I may just wait until I can manage to buy both.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back