Another Moon Question

Cricketboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have one roll of film left and I'm using to experiment with night photography. I'm using a couple film rolls to familiarize myself with a manual film camera, a K1000.

I though that I'd try to take some photos of the "super-moon" tonight, and tomorrow. I was wondering what settings I should use to get the proper exposure. I'll be using a 250mm lens with one 2x teleconverter. (It's what I've got.) The film is 200 iso color Fujifilm. I was reading this page about moon photography and it suggests f16, 1/125 for 200 iso, I'm assuming open the aperture to f8 to compensate for the light loss from one 2x teleconverter?

Last edited:
2X teleconverter = open 2 stops
if it were a 1.4X teleconverter you'd open 1 stop

My lens has the markings 22, 16, 11, 8, then 4.5, I'm assuming start at the original 16, then go down to 8 when I put the 2x teleconverter on right? Two stops down would be two clicks down on the aperture ring? Sorry, I know it's an easy concept, I just want to be sure.

You're missing 5.6 in your sequence there.

A list of "full stops" from 1 to 22 would be 1, 1.4, 2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22

Every number is doubled in every other place. To open 2 stops from 16 you'd move
up to 8.

Many lenses begin the sequence at an "in-between stop" like yours at 4.5. That's just
due to design considerations. If they went for the full f/4 instead of f/4.5 it might cost
a lot more to make the lens, etc so they compromise. But, from that point down the
sequence is as given above. At least for the system we use today. Some early lenses
used a different system.

Ok, thank you for your help! My lens doesn't have the mark 5.6 for some reason! Anyway, Minnesota's weather changed it's attitude and it stormed the night of the super moon... I'll just take another picture of it later.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back