Another "my first wedding" post but I got real issues

Micah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok I posted on craigslist for a free wedding giving complete disclosure about my skills which are way amatuer. But the thing about it is the dude is going to be wearing a WHITE TUX WITH TURQUOISE VEST!!... She is of course wering a white dress. Its an outdoor wedding at mid day. I'm thinking I'm going to buy a ND filter. I'm also buying a SB600. What a good excuse to tell the wife I need more equipment. So with so much white and being outdoors I would like some suggestions. Thanks.

Btw I'm shooting with a D80, Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 and a Sigma 17-70 f/2.8

I'm not quite understanding why you want a ND filter. Do you mean a graduated filter?

no I dont want a graduated filter. Just a Neutral density filter. It's my understanding that a ND graduated filter would be completely useless in this situation

A ND filter will only stop light. I don't see that offering much value to you. A grad ND filter could be of some assistance but, again, it's not going to be of much help as it's more designed to be used with landscapes and not wedding photography.

Your best bet is to learn how to use the SB 600 and then properly expose your shots. The white dress (and tux) are not a problem. Wedding photographers have been dealing with that for decades. Again, proper exposure and good strobe use is all you need. Don't waste money on any filters (unless their framed blur filters which some people like for weddings, but then again, you can do that with PS plug-ins.)

no I dont want a graduated filter. Just a Neutral density filter. It's my understanding that a ND graduated filter would be completely useless in this situation

I can't think of a situation where a ND filter will help you either. Maybe if the ceremony is in front of a waterfall.

Apperantly I dont know what a ND filter is for. I was thinking it would help with the mid day light and the white on white. I guess I just need to work on getting the exposure right.

Apperantly I dont know what a ND filter is for. I was thinking it would help with the mid day light and the white on white. I guess I just need to work on getting the exposure right.

ND Filter just lets less light in. Useful when you want to have a longer exposure during daylight -- often used with running water.

Well, first off.. it's a sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 (bit of a difference there, they don't make a 17-70 2.8 through the range, that would be nice though) And, if you're worried about not having enough light, having a wider angle lens such as a 17-50 or 24-70 that is 2.8 throughout the range would probably be a good thing.

Anyway, I would think that having all that white would actually be a good thing, because you don't have to worry about picking up the shadows in the black tux. It's my understanding that the real difficulty cameras have with weddings is the huge range between the white of the wedding dress and the black of the tux. But, two whites should be ok (hopefully they don't clash, that would kind of suck).

Just make sure you get the hang of exposing for whites in advance and try your best not to blow all of the highlights. This is something you should probably practice in advance.

As far as a ND filter goes, you really don't need one for that purpose. Your shutter speed along with a low ISO should be plenty to handle properly exposing even outside on a beautiful day. Again, it's something I would test, and if it is so amazingly bright out that the camera can not handle it (which I would be shocked if it couldn't) then you could use the ND. You really shouldn't need to though.

Outdoors ... at mid-day.

Forget the ND filter as has already been said.

But - by all means! - master the use of the SB 600 in the mid-day sun.

That's your only hope against really ugly shadows on peoples' faces.

I'd use either a Stofen diffuser or a Fong. Angle your flash, and practice beforehand with various flash output levels to get the best fill light balanced with the sunlight.

Thanks for the info. My wife has actually volunteerd to put on her wedding dress and let me practice. I think with experience with the SB 600 and a little confidence I will be ok.

Most reactions

Back