Another newbie member saying hi

Sage97

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello good folks. Newbie member here introducing myself.

I recently got very interested into DSLRs and am looking forward to my first DSLR. After a month or so of research, I ordered the D7000 and started to take OK pics - certainly not the cameras fault. I got really into it but a week or so later, the autofocus just stopped working. Nikon confirmed the defect and instructed me to return it so its going back to Best Buy.

A little bit more of research and stumbled upon the Pentax K5. Looks like a great unit but the local BB does not carry it in stock. I will probably special order it to compare with the D7000 I tried. I know my "newbieness" would be a significant weakness in this comparison test, but unfortunately I can't be anything else but a newbie so your thoughts would be highly appreciated. Good news is reviews seem highly favorable for both cameras.

Looking to take pics of my guitars and amps, 15 year old son playing ball, macro flower and insect shots and vacation landscapes.

Glad to be here.

Nikon and Canon are the clear leaders in this field. I'd tend to stick with one of those two.
But Pentax isn't a terrible choice though.

Keep in mind that when you buy an SLR camera, you're buying into a system. So after the initial purchase of camera and lens, you'll likely be looking at that brand of accessories etc.

I don't know much about the K5, but I have seen plenty of D7000s and they are pretty impressive.

Thank you Big Mike and KmH.

After seeing a ton of sample pics for the two choices, it looks like both cameras are highly capable of delivering the results I am shooting (pun intended) for. The biggest limiting factor will be me and my abilities. In the end, it may all come down to a personal preference.

Big Mike, thanks for pointing out that I would be buying into the system. Next step for me is to continue my homework on lenses and accessories.

Thanks again.

Welcome aboard and good luck with your decision.
Thank you Yantropov.

I just now realized that a big Nikon advantage the D7000 has over the K5 is that I can upgrade bodies without robbing a bank. The Pentax model one step higher than the K5 costs like 10k.

Where r u in Tejas?

Where r u in Tejas?

Lubbock, home of Buddy Holly and the Red Raiders.

I was just in Baltimore/Annapolis/DC areas a few weeks ago. I ate so much crab and seafood it was shameful. Love that part of the country. In fact, that is where I decided to buy a new camera. My friends all had Nikons and Canons and I had a 9 year old Sony F717.

Ahhh...Lubbock, Texas, home of the Lubbock Hotel (great swimming pool!) and Prairie Dog Town! :lol:

Hey....we also have a Motel 6 and a LA Quinta. We've moved on up. :)
I honestly have no clue where Lubbock Hotel is.

Most reactions

Back