Another newbie needs dSLR advice

ShaneAR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey, Guys.

This is an old and boring topic to some, I'm sure. But, I need help deciding on a dSLR camera. I've been reading here and elswhere, but find I just keep getting more confused.

I am completely new to photography (other than very little time with an old Point and shoot). I'm looking to learn and grow.

With that said, I've looked at: Nikon D40, Nikon D40x, Rebel Xt and Xti, Olympus e-500, and e-510, their brothers, sister, cousins, great uncles, and the aunts no one likes...whew...so, I don't know which one to go after.

I was initally looking at the E510. It has great features, the kit lenses get good reviews, and looks like I would have a lot of room to grow. But, as I read more, I began to believe, as I was new, the Nikon D40 would suit me just as well for a cheaper price.

So, is this just a matter picking one and go with it, or are their major differences in the ones above that a newbie might want/need?

the D40 doesn't have an AF drive, so think of that as you look at which Nikon lenses you'd want to buy.

The Canon XT would be a cheap option, but do not get the kit lens, get the 50 1.8 as your "kit" lens...much better.

The e-510, I'm not sure about...never used one. But I've been paying attention, and I've heard that it's got a really small sensor, so it crops a lot..(AKA less wide angle)

That's the best I can do

Treat this guy well! He should be a great addition to the photography community!

I do hope he goes Nikon. The best there is imo, lol.

Well, a good addition to the community remains to be seen...I'm sure my personality will do everything to stop that from happening ;)

I think I'm heading towards the D40 now. I've read a bit more on it, and more importantly, took a look at a fair amount of shots-- people are taking awesome shots with these.

It looks perfect for someone new...

Sideburns, you mentioned the lack of an AF motor. However, it has AF...so you confused me a little....

EDIT: Nevermind...Cleared up my own confusion ;)

Sideburns, you mentioned the lack of an AF motor. However, it has AF...so you confused me a little....

They are 2 types of AF motors: in the lens or in the camera body. The D40 does NOT have an autofocus motor so you are limited to lenses with AF motors in them if you want to use autofocus. That means you won't be able to use older Nikkor lenses for example.

I was at a local Sears store over the weekend and was walking by the camera section and to my shock, sitting there in front of me was a D50 with the kit lens for $549! Not sure where they got them and not sure how many they have, but apparently Sears still has some d50's and yes they have the AF motor in the body. Might be worth a try before you go with the D40.

I wold personally take a D50 over the D40 but, the D40 can use the older manual lenses (way cheap these days for what you get).

Steer clear of the Canon Xt series because they don't have a spot meter (and do learn to use the spot meter, it'll shave years off your learning curve). If you Decide on Canon go with a new or used whatever-D. The lower priced Pentaxs don't have the spot meters either but the K10D does.

i'm a noobie to the dslr world as well. i JUST ordered my Nikon D40 from beachcamera.com! i can't wait for it to come. =)

Id recommend the Rebel line, great cameras works with all Canon EF,EF-S lenses.

I'm having this same problem. THe 350d felt like it was built much cheaper than the D40. The 400d felt much better, but also much higher price.

In comparison, I really liked the feel of the D40 over Canon, but can't help but wonder if the lack of autofocus will get old. The two lenses I'd get besides the kit lens would be manual only on the Nikon.

Then there's the kit lens which is much better on the Nikon (from what I've heard). D40 sounds like a pretty good bet and the "kit" lens has the autofocus, so it could always be a fallback "when I need quick shots" lens.

I really hate these kind of decisions, because I don't want to regret something down the line.

Will the somewhat low megapixel matter at only 6 on the D40? The biggest prints I'll ever make would probably be around a 11x14.

As I'm sure you've read when you browsed all the many previous "which SLR" posts... ;)

Go to a store, and hold them in your hand. The one that feels right is the one. Check out the menus, the dials, the buttons... and you'll quickly know which one is the right one.

They're all phenomenal cameras for the price. Competition is fierce in the market right now, and we're all benefiting greatly.

Don't ignore Sony either. Great cameras with a good history (Konica Minolta).

NateS

There is not a huge quality difference between 6mp and 10mp. I have an old d70 and some newer d200's and image wise, both give excellent results. I would be more concerned with the d40's inability to autofocus with older 'd' lenses. Nikon has some truly outstanding older lenses. Also the inability (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) of it's pop-up flash to be used as a commander for other cls capable flashes. It's amazing what can be done with an sb-600 or two positioned off the camera.

That's the problem :) I was convinced that I wanted the Rebel XT until looking at the XT, XTI, and D40 today. After looking at the three, I'm convinced that I'd be much happier with the D40 or XTI, but there's a $150 price difference for the setups I'd get.

D40 is right at $500 with kit lens
XTI is right at $650 if I get it with the 50mm f1.8 lens

I also plan to get the sigma 70-300 zoom lens which will have autofocus on the XTI, but not the D40. Is the autofocus going to be important when zoomed to 300?.....or will it still be easy to manual focus?

Personally I don't think there is a vast difference between any of the "budget" DSLRs so I would base your decision more on your lens requirements & how much you want to spend - if you buy good lenses you can always upgrade the body in future if you need to

As already mentioned the Nikon D50 would be a good buy, Canon XT is well respected - lots of choice - try them & see which you prefer

simon

Well...

I used the D40 and Xt/Xti at a local store today. Found myself very impressed with the D40, so I'll likely be picking it up tomorrow :)

For someone new to photography, this choice seem perfect. I'm not too concerned about the lack of AF on the body and the resulting lack of choice in lenses...I can always learn to manually focus ;)

I read a very detailed review of the d40 earlier. I could barely understand the majority of the terms and options available, so I knowI have lot a room for growth with my choice ;)

Thanks for the help guys :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back