Another newbie...

Ches

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi to all-
68 year old retired carpenter attempting 2nd career in photography- shot first wedding for distant family member in May- great time,and some pretty good images, too. Inspired to do more. Now thinking about what I need to do in-home portraits as far as lighting goes- obviously budget is issue- so, any suggestions?
Do I need 110 volt studio lighting stuff? what about reflectors, backdrop material?
Tell me what to do, guys!
standing by...
Ches

Welcome to the forum.

As you said, budget is obviously an issue....so for us to give you any suggestions, we need to know what is in your ballpark.

Hi, Mike
I appreciate your response;
ok, "budget"-
you probably saw that I have a D300 and as SB800 flash, and Gary Fong's light dome. I have read that my flash is more than adequate to do head/torse shots inside, but I am seeing more evidence that additional light sources give you more options, plus getting the flash off the camera helps. So, I am looking at soft boxes, umbrellas,and backdrop material. Without a specific dollar amount to spend, can you guide me to what type of equipment to buy? is a soft box better than an umbrella? what about homemade backdrop material?Should I buy a second flash? To give you a ballpark, let's say I can FIND $250 for this project- play with that. I am more interested in the WHY of what to buy than the particular equipment itself.
Looking forward to getting some seasoned advice!
Ches

Most reactions

New Topics

Back