Another newborn practice session

christen2484

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had such a hard time getting this little guy posed! Try to ignore the wrinkles in the blue background, I'm still trying to edit them out....I can't get it to look right

Attachments

• $image-3231020169.jpg
    $image-3231020169.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 97
  • $image-1487246434.jpg
    $image-1487246434.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 118
Not diggin the blue bowl too much....just my taste really. The 2nd one is nice,though I'd of opted out of the onsie.

The planter bowl thing was way overdone about 7 or 8 years ago and it's really kind of tacky. The baby is really orange in these. Especially the first one.

Your background issue: Place your subject a good distance from the background to keep the two separated and to eliminate wrinkle problems. Newborns can be a bit closer than adults, but you still need a foot or two between background and baby.

Newborns are shot within the first week of life. Past that they become infants and lose that newborn look. This little one is really getting past the newborn stage quite a bit. They are also generally shot nekked or with a diaper cover.

Your focus looks good in the first one. Second it falls on his hands. Your exposures look good.

The clone tool does come in handy for backdrop wrinkles...overall, I think they are cute :)

I personally don't think it's safe to ever mix newborns and glass. Any baby, especially a 10 pounder, can startle unexpectedly. Unless this was a composite shot, I wouldn't ever do it. Even so, there are a million other poses you can use without glass. Just my 0.02.

The planter bowl thing was way overdone about 7 or 8 years ago and it's really kind of tacky. The baby is really orange in these. Especially the first one.

Your background issue: Place your subject a good distance from the background to keep the two separated and to eliminate wrinkle problems. Newborns can be a bit closer than adults, but you still need a foot or two between background and baby.

Newborns are shot within the first week of life. Past that they become infants and lose that newborn look. This little one is really getting past the newborn stage quite a bit. They are also generally shot nekked or with a diaper cover.

Your focus looks good in the first one. Second it falls on his hands. Your exposures look good.

don't tell all these big time newborn photographers that! i hear up to 14 days is "newborn". our little one is a little over 2 weeks old and hasn't changed that much. but like she said, he is 8 days old, so definitely still newborn status. Besides that, I agree with everything else you said. Another thing I would note is the lighting seems to be really flat, especially in #2 and seems to lack a bit of contrast. to the OP, when you do shots like these, try to take note onto where the light source (the sun/window if your using natural light) and angle/position the baby where the light isn't coming straight on to their face, add a bit of an angle to give their face a little depth, some soft shadows can be a good thing!

cute baby nonetheless.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back