Another noob wondering how much to charge :P

owen07

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello! I signed up about 20 mins ago.

Yeah, I know its been over several times, but still no straight answer. I guess there isn't one really.

Basically, My brother is a Football Player (Soccer Player) for Blackburn Rovers, and has just got his pro contract for the 1st team. His Agents have just set up a new website and want me to do the photography for them.

Now, see, I have been using DSLR for video/films for a year and a half now and know about composition, lighting, exposure etc. But I have no clue when it comes to 'photography' itself. eg: Use of Flash, portraits, etc

I have told them this but the still want to pay me properly for my 'troubles'.

The jobs they are offering:

First (Monday 16th) - Office/ Employee photos, in the office (I dont have a flash gun, just internal and a diffusion bag thingy)

Mainly - Athlete portraits and action photography. Now this I will be fine at as I will do this outdoors and do MTB and BMX photography.

I just need a baseline figure basically. Totally unsure about how much to charge. Was thinking £100 for the employees shoot and like £75-£150 per Athlete shoot gig. But again, I have no idea what your suppose to charge.

Don't forget... these guys have money, they have several Athletes under their belt. But im still and noob at this thing. anything else, let me know.

Thanks
Owen

I would insist that you not charge at all. You don't have the equipment or the experience to charge 100 pounds IMHO. I'd do it for free, take your time, make mistakes, and learn from the experience.

You're a noob, so you should really not be charging. Or else you might be in legal hot water.

£10,000,000. Land the deal, and you're set for life.

Thats what I was saying to them. Id do it for free for a little while before im completely comfortable shooting.

The kit I own is:

Canon 60D

Sigma 24-70 f/2.8

Sigma 70-200 f/2.8

Apeture 3 and Photoshop CS5.1

They are used to being quoted £700+ for photos apparently.

I charge £45 per hour but i have everything needed ie. studio flash and lots of camera equipment and the knowledge of how to mix ambient and flash or just studio flash, but for this i would give them a set sum which would work out a lot more than £45 per hour

I appreciate you posting silly figures, but if you have noting good to post, please dont post it. I am seriously looking for some real enlightenment here. Its a steep leaning curve for me, and could get me some very good contacts.

Thanks

What you own is not relevant. It's what you can deliver to the customer.

One photographer could command £5,000 with less gear than you. Another may spend £20,000 on gear and won't even be considered for the job.

Knowing how to use a camera, lens, lighting, etc. and how to post-process is one thing. Running a business is a whole other universe.

So if I say like maybe, £20ph? do you include travel expenses, or put it on top?

I appreciate you posting silly figures, but if you have noting good to post, please dont post it. I am seriously looking for some real enlightenment here. Its a steep leaning curve for me, and could get me some very good contacts.

Thanks

If you can't take it here, you ain't gonna be able to take it out in the real world.

Just take some excellent natural light shots, present them for use. Then maybe they will ask (or you can offer) to do more player profile images for a fee.

Yes ago when I first started doing web graphics, I did a couple of sites free for a couple of buddies that I raced with. Next thing you know, I had everybody asking for me to do sites for them.

Your work needs to speak for itself quality wise.

I would insist that you not charge at all. You don't have the equipment or the experience to charge 100 pounds IMHO...
The old expression, "If you have to ask how much..." Really, are you even allowed to charge? Are you authorized or licensed by the appropriate govenment agencies to engage in trade? What about your contract? One of the reasons that big companies like to use new/inexperienced people for jobs like this is because they believe that they can push them around. Have you discussed usage and licensing? What are your rights and obligations with respect to copyright for commissioned work?

As mentioned, you don't have the equipment, experience or resouces to engage in this undertaking. In fact, given the nature of it, I would go one step further than Tyler and bow out totally.

To give you an idea, based on my pricing, I would probably charge ~$100/head for the head shots, and significantly more for the atheletes. Of course use would be a huge factor. How/where will they be used, for how long etc. As you can see, there are a LOT of moving parts to a situation like this. It's not just "How much".

Good luck!

I went on a masterclass with Brian Griffin he shot the Olympic portraits for free because he didn't want anyone else to shoot them except him
briangriffin.co.uk
I would charge more than £20, travel is on top, if i lived nearer i would have come and given you a hand

Most reactions

Back