Another one

Sure that was a drone? With the way it was rocking back and forth and height it almost looks like someone walking down the dock recording it.

As for disturbing the animals, sorry I have little sympathy for these dogs who take over the docks. When I fished for a living I'd occasionally have to step over one to get to my boat. They're very much like dogs, some are friendly, some aren't.

I have zero sympathy for these bloated,harping sea rats; after the NMFS enacted marine mammal protections, and eliminated ALL human predation, these filthy beasts have come to decimate an entire strain of wild steelhead in Washington's Cedar River, by hunting the Ballard Locks; these creatures have spread northward, so that at one point Astoria, Oregon had 3,800 of these sea rats clogging docks and marinas last year; these things have over-populated to an extent that the current population is un-sustainable; in the Monterey, CA area this year, over 300 died becasue the numbers of these sea rats have expanded to a level higher than at ANY time in history. Currently, nuisance California sea lions are venturing north to Oregon and to Washington, and have migrated as far as 150 miles from the ocean, and are now hunting the lower river stretches of the Willamette, Clackamas, Sandy, Kalama, Cowlitz, Columbia, Wind, and other rivers, eating huge numbers of sturgeon and salmon and steelhead, many of which are endangered strain fish.

I have zero sympathy for "California sea lions". Below Bonneville Dam, we've had hundreds of these sea rats eating endangered salmon and steelhead for the past eight years or more; due to the total elimination of human take of sea lions, and eliminating the ability to harass them in any situation, we've created a HUGE over-population that is unafraid of humans, to the point that the California sea lion is now the problem of Oregon and Washington species. This is as big of an ecological management blunder as was Teddy Roosevelt's cougar/wolf/coyote/hunting/elk/deer blunder of over a hundred years ago.
We've now allowed the California sea lion population explosion to literally wipe out an entire inland, freshwater steelhead population. And now they're dying in some of their California nesting areas, as they have utterly exhausted local forage supplies for the adults, and their pups. They have begun to invade freshwater environments where they have historically NEVER existed. In one nothern California nesting colony that normally has 700 individuals, the die-offs this season was over 300 individuals--due to starvation!

We now have well,well over 10 times the sea lion population as existed when Lewis & Clark came west in 1804.

Last edited:
The video linked to above happens was shot February 28, 2017, about 20 miles from where I now live, on the Columbia River, at the town of Ranier, Oregon. These California sea lions are all in fresh water on the swollen, browned Columbia River, waiting for the spring chinook salmon run to arrive in force.

If people do not think the California sea lion population is out of control, take a look at this video posted today to Facebook from a commerical fishing boat. Warning: F-bomb is used.

This shows what happens when a predatory pinniped population is put on a no-harassment/no kill restrictions.Boaters,mariners, and fishermen are NOT ALLOWED in ANY way, to scare these sea rats away from their ships,vessels, boats, or gear,of any type: shrimp,crab,sport,charter,commercial. This video shows what happens when a historically balanced predator population is given free reign. This massive population explosion is now systemativcally eliminating 10 to 15 percent of wild, endangered salmon and steelhead runs every season below 33 foot high Willamette Falls.

Here, hundreds and hundred of Califoria sea lions cluster beside each fishing boat, to eat the catch from boats as it is hauled aboard, and to destroy fishing gear, rip nets, and so on. The numbers of these animals has reached an historical, all-time high--to the point that they no longer hunt for themselves, but congregate in the hundred to thousands (3,500 individuals counted on the Columbia River in Astoria, OR last summer!) and gorge themselves on fish caught by fishermen of all types (rod and reel, gillnet, purse seiner, trollers), or cluster at waterfalls, ship locks, and below hydroelectric dams, and at river mouths, laying waste to huge portions of salmon, steelhead, walleye, and sturgeon populations.

Last edited:
Lol! These things are a menace to endangered salmon and steelhead runs all along the western coast.

States kill 47 California sea lions at Bonneville Dam during April, 14 added to watch list

NOAA estimated 296,780 California sea lions alone in 2014, highest total ever recorded. This does NOT include Stellar sea lions, nor any seal species. Around 69,000 births annually, with a little over a 25% mortality annually on pups. Stellar Sea Lions were estimated to be
60,131 to 74,448 individuals the same year.

Actually we are the menace Derrel, not the sea lions. They didn't build the dam, they just adapted to a situation created by man.

Most reactions

Back