another portrait for critique

anton980

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.antonimation.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi again, everyone! Here's another portrait I shot last night. It's modified in photoshop some. The blotchiness on the skin is due to compression. I wanted to keep the image size large, so I had to bring down the quality.
I'd love to hear comments! Thanks very much for looking!

L_Small.jpg

Anton

This image seems to be way soft and out of focus. I think if her left side wasn't cropped so tight that would help too. The lighting needs some work as well...but the most distracting part is that none of it is focused.

eromallagadnama said:
This image seems to be way soft and out of focus. I think if her left side wasn't cropped so tight that would help too. The lighting needs some work as well...but the most distracting part is that none of it is focused.

i agree. btw, how long did you make her hold that vase? :shock:

Hi and thanks for posts. The vase isnt too heavy :) And the session wasnt long either. About the focus - I did soften the image both to achieve a soft look and to minimize the noise. Her face is in focus, but I agree, it does look odd here, could be image quality.

Any more ideas about the crop? I thought this one was good..

looks soft again. not white balanced. I always try to make sure the eyes are in focus and sharp. I really like the subject and composition. The models expression and pose make the pic interesting even though there are some technical probs.

I agree about the focus and the crop, it looks like she is leaning on the edge of the frame, good subject though.

Thanks to everyone for comments and critiques! I am very positive that the face is in focus. I did soften the image a lot, maybe that throws it off? Anyways, I've reworked it a little bit, here's an updated version, slightly larger and at better quality. Thanks for looking!

L_Small_Fixed.jpg

It still doesn't look at all focused to me...not even the face. Maybe it's the softening, but it still shouldn't be that blurry. The shadown cast on her face is discomforting, you might try shooting again and switch up the lighting a bit.

The re-worked version is better. I have several suggestions though. First, the clothing is out of key with the background. The direction of the eyes doesn't serve the rest of the posing. It makes me wonder WHAT is she LOOKING at?! But what causes me the most concern is the shadow you prop cast across her face. In fact, the prop is so large, I'm wondering a bit if she's the prop and the vase is the subject.

I do like soft focus. Before digital and for more than two decades, I ALWAYS had a diffuser in front of my lens for portraits, except maybe some groups. I think you can get the results you want. I'm getting close to it myself, but I'm sure there's a better way. I'd be glad to share my approach with you.

Pretty model! Good idea too.

-Pete

Thanks again for comments! I'll definately keep all you've suggested in mind and will try to reshoot this particular one.

Pete, whatever tips you're willing to share will be of great benefit. It's always good to know other people's approach.

In the meantime, I will try to invest in better lighting. This one was done with whatever I had available in my apartment.

Thanks again, guys!

Anton

the focus issue has already been beaten to death. I just wanted to add that I think there's too much flower and not enough person.

Like the look on her face. the eyes VERY good show.
I do agree the focus seems a little out. but keep working.

I think she needs some space on her right side (the left side of the photo). Having her whole shoulder inside the frame (even if her shoulder is touching the edge of the frame) would make for a better shot. Also, reflecting some light up from the left of the frame onto her face and clothing would improve the shadows on her face; a sheet of white posterboard might suffice. Some of the "out of focus" appearance is probably the compression. I personally think the image would actually be stronger without the softening effect, and with the flowers in sharper focus; however, that can be personal preference. Finally, a background other than white would be good. Brick, wood, wall, door, yard, flower shop... something. If the background were somewhat out of focus (which it can't be with the plain white background), I think that some of the focus effects would be less disturbing. Also, if it were, say, a flower shop, I think she'd be more clearly the subject, since there would be flowers all around.

On the other hand, I like the pose, the outfit, the flowers, and even the fact that she's looking out-of-frame, although the latter would be more effective if whatever she was looking at was in the frame... or there was a background that made it believable that she was looking at something.

when you run your soft focus how are you doing it? I would recommend you create a new layer, then on the new layer apply the soft focus. On the origional layer do your USM, Now on the 2nd layer that you did the soft focus on I would get the eraser tool and set the pressure to about 25%...then start erasing the soft focus from the eyes, nose and mouth. Then adjust the opacity of the 2nd layer to taste for the soft focus. The added benifit of doing this is it really makes the eyes pop and doesn't give people plastic skin as long as you don't go overboard.

Mabe this is what you are already doing in which case ignore my whole post as I would then be a rambling fool.

HTH

alex

Most reactions

Back