Another portrait... improvement?

On the 80-200, It's a good lens. Mine is about 10 or 12 years old and the big problem I have with it is the manual/auto switch. It's mounted laterally and when trying to shoot fast for live dance it's too easy to accidentally get it off auto as you twist the zoom (that may be different on newer models). If you don't notice you can end up with a whole raft of blurred images. Once I'd figured out what the problem was it became less of one.

The studio kit needs research into lighting styles and practise. I can set up my portable kit in a village hall in about 20 minutes to half an hour; I can do it by myself but taking the wife as my assistant is better. Being portable gives lots of flexibility.

Shooting portraits is a whole different kettle of fish from live event action. One of the most important things I've had to learn is not anything technical but how to talk while I shoot to help the subject relax. If you keep up a line of patter telling the lady how lovely she looks and breaking off occasionally to look at your screen and make ecstatic noises it's quite amazing how most of them lap it up start to preen and glow! It seems corny to me but it works. Another thing I'd say is never try to do a rushed shoot. I tried to do ten minute sessions in the back room at an event once and it was a disaster. Your subjects need time to relax, especially if they are new to being photographed in a studio setting. The lights and kit tends to make them nervous and it might be 20 minutes before you start getting some decent shots.

If you get the studio kit rope in family, friends and friends of friends as models for free shoots so you know your set up and what works before you start charging. I still charge silly prices when you consider all the processing work but I'm slowly getting better at it and am getting word of mouth referrals so I may reconsider and start to edge a little higher, there are plenty of new bits of kit I need and having a bit of jam on your bread from time to time makes a nice change. ;)

Someone on here (I forget who) has the signature line "The best way to make money off photography is to sell your camera." :lmao:

On the 80-200, It's a good lens. Mine is about 10 or 12 years old and the big problem I have with it is the manual/auto switch. It's mounted laterally and when trying to shoot fast for live dance it's too easy to accidentally get it off auto as you twist the zoom (that may be different on newer models). If you don't notice you can end up with a whole raft of blurred images. Once I'd figured out what the problem was it became less of one.

A small piece of black electrical tape over switches is good for things like that. One of my lenses has the VR switch placed so that when I pull it out of my camera bag I occasionally switched it off by accident. A small piece of tape eliminated the problem since my finger now just slides right over it, and it still allows me to use the switch by removing the tape when necessary.

A small piece of black electrical tape over switches is good for things like that. One of my lenses has the VR switch placed so that when I pull it out of my camera bag I occasionally switched it off by accident. A small piece of tape eliminated the problem since my finger now just slides right over it, and it still allows me to use the switch by removing the tape when necessary.

The best solutions are usually the simplest ones. :) Thanks!

ManualMode said:
On-Camera flash is an abomination..
It's akin to peeing a bowl of cornflakes.. sure that would technically make it "A bowl of cereal".. but you'd be much better off without it.

But cornflakes are so good....add in a ill sweetener and you've got yourself frosted flakes...."they're great!"

Most reactions

Back