Another Pricing Thread

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please do not crucify me as this question is slightly different than the others. I have seen the cost of doing business calculators and I have pretty much nailed down some prices for prints and session fees. But here is what I tend to run into. How do you guys charge for special order things? Like gallery wraps or prints with special finishes. Those special finishes all cost money. How do you add it in to your total? I don't have set prices for all my special order products. Do you just do "XX% + cost of product = total"?

Isnt it easier to take your base cost and just have a percentage markup for everything. Not sure if thats as feasible as a consumer type market but maybe?

Isnt it easier to take your base cost and just have a percentage markup for everything. Not sure if thats as feasible as a consumer type market but maybe?

Yes I think that would be so much easier.

I mean you can always adjust it if in your mind it seems really high down the line but for many sellers they take a 1.5 or 1.2 or 1.3 markup and bang thats your price. I hope that didnt sound rude. Wasnt my intention. :)

How do you guys charge for special order things? Like gallery wraps or prints with special finishes.

Don't think of these things as "special order" items. Consider them "upgrades."

I decided from the start that all of my custom portrait prints would be dry-mounded and lacquer sprayed. That was simply the minimum presentation I was willing to do, so those costs were factored into the price of the print.

Canvas mounting, wraps, brush texture and so on are ways to up the sale... add-ons. Pretty much like frames and such.

So once you've sold the 20x24 print of a family session, ask, "Have you thought about how you will display your print?" This opens the door to discussion about the additional services you offer and what the benefits are.

I hope this helps.

-Pete

PS - I suggest you mark up these addtional services at a different rate than the prints.

Double your total cost for the final product. Then, decide what your time is worth and add that in. THAT is the hardest part.

-Pete

PS - I suggest you mark up these addtional services at a different rate than the prints.
+1.

Prints should be marked up on a sliding scale anyway. Small prints should have a huge markup (starting at a couple thousand %) compared to the big wall prints (a couple hundred %).

Gallery wraps/Standouts/Canvas should be a regular upgrade offerings.

The other critical point to take away from Pete's post is, you have to be there to ask, "Have you thought about how you will display your print?" and can't do that if you are selling your work online. It also helps a great deal if you have samples to show.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back