Another Quick Lens Question

YoungPic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i recently bought a sigma 70-300 for a film pentax but i will be using it on my digital, the question i have is that this lens has an aperture ring, now i know i will have to use that to control the aperture but what do i do for the setting on the camera? do i just match the number on the ring? im just affraid that the camera will get confused and harm it in some way, if you understand what im asking please just inform me on what to do

If you are using a manual lens on a dslr you can just set the camera to full manual and control the your shutter speed there. The aperture/focus will still be on the lens, unless, of course, it is autofocus. Thats what I do on my Xti anyway. Im pretty sure it wont hurt your camera to use the camera settings for aperture as well, but it just wont work, the ring is the only way.

First, the lens isn't going to confuse the camera and harm it in any way. Any Pentax K mount lens will work on their DSLRs, some better then others. I have a Pentax K100D and use old full manual lenses all the time. What digital camera do you have? On mine I had to change some settings so it would let me use lenses without auto aperture control and I bet you will have to do the same. And when using them, my camera just displays F-- for the aperture setting and has to be used in full manual mode to actually get use of the aperture ring. In Av, it just keeps the lens wide open all the time for every shot.

yea since i am doing racing mostly with this lens i will proably be using full manual to keep the settings consistant

If the lens has an aperture ring, that doesn't mean you will have to use the aperture ring to control aperture... if the aperture ring has an "A" option (it will be after the highest f-number), just switch it to that and you can control aperture from the body. Only if the aperture ring has no "A" setting will you have to set aperture on the lens.

Most reactions

Back