Another shot a Business Cards C+C

TylerF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have decided to purchace a domain name (not yet chosen) and set up a website. with thatm i would like to purchase some business cards. i have been trying so many different designs out but i think i really like this one. BUT i come here because just because i like it, doesnt mean it's good lol. so please be honest

front
5zfokh.jpg

back
2lkaete.jpg

thanks!

I'd loose the border. The margin of error from a printing press to cutting will more than likely make them look less than uniform. Perhaps with even some borders missing. The rest is all kind of subjective, from a design standpoint, you could make the image above your name a little bit larger. I'm glad you are taking the simple approach rather than a busy one. It will work in your favor.

i agree with the border. it was a last minute thing.

i will have my portfolio as well as current shoots and shots i have done on my website

I was trying to get a point across that I am a photographer quickly. I feel that adding photos to it can make it too busy as well as make people think that whatever the photo is on the card, is what you specialize in. I enjoy a bunch of different types of photography (portraits, music, commercial, real estate, automotive)

Not that it's bad, just not what one typically expects on a business card for a photographer, namely pictures. I suggest designing something that conveys being an artist. Your example card could be for an accountant. Good luck.
Business cards are not mini portfolios. They are contact information. He has the word "photography" on it, so later at a glance, the card holder won't think he is an accountant. He is referencing a website that would act as portfolio.

I like it. I don't think it needs to be two sided though. You are going with basic info on it that I think would fit cleanly on one side. That's my opinion. You hit all the points of why I wouldn't put photos on the card.

Of course business cards aren't mini portfolios, but they should convey something more about the photographer than a phone number and web address, at least if you want to maximize effectiveness. When I started my studio, I went to the local state fair photography exhibit and picked up a couple dozen photographers' business cards. I used that as a baseline standard for designing my own. At least in my area, photographers' cards are certainly a cut above what's found in most other professions.

Greg, what image do you have on your card? Baby photo, portraiture, wedding, landscape, flower?
Do you give a card with a wedding photo to someone interested in purchasing landscapes, or vice versa?

I don' t like photos on BCs. They are way too small to be an appropriate gallery. When was the last time anyone printed a photo that small? Plus I think it's tacky.

As far as this design is concerned, I like the polaroid thing but I have to wonder how many people your age will recognize it for what it is. Although it probably doesn't matter since the Photographer underneath is very readable. I would however get rid of the border for the very reason mentioned by o hey tyler and I would also lose the 2 sided job. I use a rolodex so I hate 2 sided cards and I imagine I am not the only one :grumpy: Not to mention that one extra line on the front (phone number only. There should be a way to contact you by email on your website so the email address is not necessary on the BC) is not going to kill the design.

Greg, what image do you have on your card? Baby photo, portraiture, wedding, landscape, flower?
Do you give a card with a wedding photo to someone interested in purchasing landscapes, or vice versa?

Here's my most recent card. The primary picture is a single flower, although the top graphic has a merged landscape shot with mountain orchids on either side of a business logo. It's not the greatest card, but I am content. When I redo them I will drop "videographer" and my email address.
smallcard.jpg

My business card has my name, web address and e-mail address. The one before this latest one, which I change every few months, had address, phone, everything and it looked too busy. Now it just directs then to my web site, which is where they can find out everything they need to know.

Here's my most recent card. The primary picture is a single flower, although the top graphic has a merged landscape shot with mountain orchids on either side of a business logo. It's not the greatest card, but I am content. When I redo them I will drop "videographer" and my email address.
smallcard.jpg

Honestly Greg, I'd totally redesign it. Your email address is important, while maybe being a 'videographer' isn't important. I'd get rid of what types of photography you work in, as that should come across when talking to you, or viewing your website.

Greg, your signature is screaming "Jack of all trades, master of none".

Most reactions

Back