another sunset

that1guy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
the sun was almost gone when i took these but i guess i got lucky and got some breaks in the clouds. it was weird because it was cloudy all the way from the horizon except right above me as you can see normally the sunsets here in japan are really warm but last night this one was really quite cool... i didnt even notice i got this until i got home and uploaded the pix onto my computer

i used a 5 sec long eposure photo for the water, i wanted to try to get a longer exposer but i didnt have a great ND filter.. it was only a 2 stop :(

C&C always welcome

araha2cp.jpg

I like this and then I don't like this..I am not crazy about that negative space on the right and the horizon peeping though those rocks.It would have been nice to get lower eliminating that triangular space between the rocks. The processing is nicely done and its cool you can see some sun rays and that golden yellow popping through.

I did an edit that maybe you will like.

I got out some of the dust spots from your sensor., Then I added a glow layer and masked the water in with it so there was more mystical yet contrasty thing going on separating the sky and water. I then added a detailed enhancer layer and masked in just a little bit of the lower rocks. I then merged and cropped it so there was less water in the foreground. I then did a content aware scale bringing the right in some ( very cool tool).

araha2cpcopy.jpg

I got out some of the dust spots from your sensor.

Yes im not to happy about that i had to order so dust swabs from amazon the only camera store here only sells Q-tips :( i have to wait a week to get them

but pretty nice crop but i wanted to keep the foreground for the smooth water look but i shouldve cropped a little more as well

Stunning. I like the original distance, but I would like to see better balance, which ends up centered.

I like this! I have a few questions though, for my own learning. How did you go a 5 second exposure on this? Wouldn't the water and clouds have moved, which would have caused ghosting? And I forget what a ND filter is, could you remind me? Besides that, I think this is a great picture. I agree with vip though, it would look better I think if the horizon wasn't so apparent in between the rocks, but sometimes that's not possible. That's just my newb opinion :)

DGMPhotography said:
I like this! I have a few questions though, for my own learning. How did you go a 5 second exposure on this? Wouldn't the water and clouds have moved, which would have caused ghosting? And I forget what a ND filter is, could you remind me? Besides that, I think this is a great picture. I agree with vip though, it would look better I think if the horizon wasn't so apparent in between the rocks, but sometimes that's not possible. That's just my newb opinion :)

you didn't know I can control time an space! ;)

no seriously i didn't use the 5 second exposure for the merge sequence I used it during post processing and yes you are correct there normally would be ghosting ...the beauties of photoshop!

nd filter is a neutral density filter

MLeeK said:
Stunning. I like the original distance, but I would like to see better balance, which ends up centered.

normally I would do a more better looking crop but this time I wanted to
incorporate the long exposure into this one do it's like hdr+Long exposure

at first i thought the water was just empty space, then i thought it was snow. it needs a dab of color. just my opinion :3

obscure.individual said:
at first i thought the water was just empty space, then i thought it was snow. it needs a dab of color. just my opinion :3

i thought so as well and tried adding some color but I liked this look the most

Most reactions

Back