Another test - Windex bottle, Part I - story involved

I X L R 8

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok , well, so today I decided to scout around on family property.
I ended up at the stream that runs through. There were Egrets everywhere, roosting I suppose.
I couldn't get close so I tried to shoot them with a 70-300 lens, but they were just too far away, probably close to a quarter mile. I tried , but it just wasn't meant to be.
I wasn't prepared either. This stuff is not easy.

I decided to post the image anyway.
birdsup.jpg

yeah, that is A LOT of egrets lol

Anyways, the shot looks good in a smaller size, but once you open it into it's original size, a lot of detail is lost. I'd say you did good for the situation you were presented though (being too far away, not prepared, etc.), but I wouldn't blow the image up TOO large if you were to print.

I like the one bird in flight though :p

It was about that time, in the midst of my failures that this ferocious beast appeared from nowhere.
Kind of like the spider. Nor was I prepared.
He wouldn't be still either.
Just as he appeared from nowhere, the mighty Kraken submerged , never to be seen again.
I think he saw me, or sensed me.

crackin.jpg

Last edited:
yeah, that is A LOT of egrets lol

Anyways, the shot looks good in a smaller size, but once you open it into it's original size, a lot of detail is lost. I'd say you did good for the situation you were presented though (being too far away, not prepared, etc.), but I wouldn't blow the image up TOO large if you were to print.

I like the one bird in flight though :p

Yeah I know.
I shot it at 230mm which is equivalent to 345mm in a 35mm film camera.
I had to freehand it.
Everything was shaking around like a leaf blowing in the wind.
It was hard to focus.......I wanted to zoom it into 300mm but all that did was blow the composition I was trying for.
So I had to back it down.
The Gator was a bit closer but still a good ways off. Shot him at 300mm.
Man I wish I could have gotten another couple of shots at that.

anybody think theres too many things going on in the 1st photo, especially the birds? beside that I like the contrast, colors and reflection of the water.

do you mean a kraken?
they're more like a squid or an octopus.

post them bigger...just for fun

Most reactions

Back