Another Try at Portraits

TylerF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Woke up this morning and wanted to try portraits for a second time before i head to work. So i forced my brother away from his video games for a bit. C&C welcome

2ahz14g.jpg

29e0zrt.jpg

Did I go too far with the highlights on the second one?

:) I like them. I love front on photos...Like eyes! He sure looks wide awake for someone getting dragged out of bed. :)

haha thank you. he wasn't happy but I know how to make him laugh and relax. He has put up with my camera in his face so much. I'm surprised he hasn't broken the thing haha

Way better than your last set. Nice job on the progress.

Not sure on the focus or sharpness around the eyes, hard to tell from a small image.
I'm uncertain as well about the posing. I prefer the posing in the first, although his arm seems to be squishing his chin a bit. when you have your model put their hand or fingers on some part of the face, they aren't really resting it, they are just barely touching.

I like how its a bit off center. I don't like that little dip on the lower left hand side where his hand stops and his other arm begins. Maybe a tighter crop?

I find the placement of his arms in the second image very in your face and aggressive. They take up a big part of the frame. Maybe shooting from a bit higher up would help. Shooting from higher up than your model's eye level makes the model look up and open their eyes a bit more. While he has a nice natural smile, I don't like how it closes his eyes.

I also find there is a bit too much empty space over his head.

Nice shots, my suggestion would be to add some highlights to his hair with a hair light or reflector, or maybe a little rim light from behind which would separate him from the background. Did you do something different with the second shot it appears to have a warmer tone?

Thanks BigTwinky and alphaem. I see where you're coming from with everything. Glad to know i am improving.

as for the second one, i think i just edited it a bit differently

MuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuCH better :)
though I'm not a fan if flat lighting, its pretty good job. keep it up!

thank you!

I don't know how to get more dynamic lighting from my sb600 with it on camera. I can't wait to get another flash and wireless triggers lol

U don't need a second flash. It can't hurt but you don't NEED it - u buy a ttl cord and a small light stand or even camcorder chepo tripod And place flash on it connected to the camera. For little home shoots as u just showed it wil do the trick. It isn't the BEST way but you'll tuen your 2d image into a 3d look, just pose accordingly ;$

yeah, I would eventually like to take photos of other people and also do band promotional shoots. I am just using my mom and brother in my house so I don't waste a model or bands time. Thanks though!

Most reactions

Back