Another Up Grade Question. D7000-D7100

Dana C

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a question. Which needs an answer.
While I don't take photos of insects in flight, at least now, I do take a lot of pictures of high school sports which are getting considerable attention. I use a D7000 almost all the time with high ISO's (4,000 - 6,000), high shutter speeds and 1.8 - 2.8 fixed depending on the gym lighting. I do wish my camera focuses, AF, better than it does. I use settings that correspond with what is being talked about, number of focal points, A priority etc. I use a 50 1.8, an 85 1.8 and a 80-200 new model dual ring 2.8. Some of the pictures are great and others I wish my AF worked better and I wish I had more pixels so I had more to work with in PP.

My big question really is, would I be better off with the 7100, (selling my D90 back up) and keeping the 7000 as a second body? I am not a beginner and consider myself an enthusiast at this point but still learning a lot.

The AF system on the D7000 is a good system but the one on the D7100 is a big upgrade.
Should you get the D7100 ?
Mhhh tough one
The AF system in the D7000 is very good but the one on the D7100 is even better.
Will you get more shots in focus with the D7100 ?
Probably yes, but how many better I cant tell you and its very hard to tell you if you should upgrade from the D7000 to the D7100.
Here is what I would do, if you see yourself moving someday to FX and can afford it then consider getting the D750, its a beast on so many levels, I took it to a Hockey game and got awesome results!!!
Low light performance and AF just work great on this camera and you already have FX glass.
If you see yourself staying with DX then wait a bit for the replacement of the D7100 and get it, it will have the new Expeed 4 so you will probably have a higher native ISO to work with probably slightly better low light performance and better AF system.

I think your at the borderline of your settings for crop vs image quality. I have a d7100 and would shoot at iso 4000-6000 occasionally but don't really want to be there a lot. Af is good on d7100 but not sure about it being leaps and bounds better than a functional d7000 (some earlier d7000 had few focus issues I believe).

I've seen few well cared for d3 second hand for a little more than the price of a new d7100. For your specific purpose that would be better

You could rent a D7100 for a weekend and see if things improve.

The d7100 solves pretty most all the gripes you stated about your D7000.

rent a d750 too.
I think the lowlight ability for indoor sports would improve dramatically with a FF camera.

I have a d7000 too and a few years ago I thought of upgrading to a d7100 for outdoor sports in not so great light and evening light, also astrophotography. I ended up getting a d600. Never regretted it a moment as it was only a couple hundred more used than a new d7100. I still have the d7000 too. The low light is the same settings is quite a bit different ==> Question to those who moved from crop sensor to full frame camera-low light Perf | Photography Forum

I do take a lot of pictures of high school sports

Shooting people moving is not easy, and if your aperture is nearly always that wide, I'm guessing that the DOF is just too shallow. If you can get the focus point on the subject, you're doing quite well, but if the DOF is razor thin (shallow) you're not going to get the results you had hoped for.

The camera might be focusing on someone's arm, for instance, but if the DOF is only a couple of inches, his face will be oof.

Or if you have simply missed the person, the camera grabs something in the background leaving the entire person oof. Where is the actual focus? Turn on the focus location indicator in your software and analyze not only where the point of focus is, but also the DOF.

Or post an example so someone here can see what you're talking about.

As others have mentioned already, you may consider looking for the D750 or the D610. They are both FF cameras, cost more, but you will have better results in low light. That being said, I would hold on to any purchase on the D7100, as the D7200 is seriously rumored to come out in the next couple months. If you're not in a hurry to upgrade, I would wait to see what the D7200 has to offer.

Last edited:
My big question really is, would I be better off with the 7100, (selling my D90 back up) and keeping the 7000 as a second body? I am not a beginner and consider myself an enthusiast at this point but still learning a lot.

Yes.

The D7100 is a much better camera for High School Sports then the D7000.

1. The AutoFocus is faster and more accurate on the D7100.
  2. In low light the D7100 can lock-on and track focus better then the D7000.
  3. 24mp vs. 16mp helps with cropping when forced to use 1.8 primes in dark gyms.

I shot HS sports with the D7000 since the day it was released up to the day the D7100 hit stores. I never regretted upgrading to the D7100. I've had 2 years with the D7100 and its been the best Nikon DX Sports camera i've used (even better then the D300.. YMMV).

As others have said... the D7200 is only a few weeks away from being announced. You may want to wait.

<Flame Suit On>
If you don't mind switching sides... The Canon 7Dmk2 is the best DX sports camera i've used period. As a Nikon fanboy its hard to say... but it is amazing.. and i doubt the consumer targeted D7200 will be able to compete with PRO(sumer) targeted 7Dmk2.
</Flame Suit Off>

is the d7100 or 7dmii the best dx sports camera you've ever used?

i have a feeling when you start seeing the IQ out of the d7200 vs the 7dmii, it'll be easy for the nikon to compete.

Yeah, you're right, Dana C, it's got to be the equipment.

<Flame Suit On>
If you don't mind switching sides... The Canon 7Dmk2 is the best DX sports camera i've used period. As a Nikon fanboy its hard to say... but it is amazing.. and i doubt the consumer targeted D7200 will be able to compete with PRO(sumer) targeted 7Dmk2.
</Flame Suit Off>
Well the 7D II is very well made for sports and wildlife and does a good job at that but its so much more expensive then the D7100!
So if you will consider going higher then why not get the motherload the D750 ?
It is only few hundreds of dollars more expensive then the Canon 7D II and you will get one of the best cameras currently out there!!!
Its an amazing all around camera and from personal experience does spots very, very well and is a killer in the low light situations that fast sports shooting demands.

But I have a feeling you will be more focused at the D7100 which is very good and priced much more reasonably.

So if you will consider going higher then why not get the motherload the D750 ?
It is only few hundreds of dollars more expensive then the Canon 7D II and you will get one of the best cameras currently out there!!!
Its an amazing all around camera and from personal experience does spots very, very well and is a killer in the low light situations that fast sports shooting demands.

The D750 is a super nifty camera and i wouldn't mind having one... but the OP is asking about High School sports... and a DX body (even a $1,800 7Dmk2) is a cheaper solution then a FX body for shooting sports. Its all about the crop.

50mm 1.8 on DX @ ~$130 vs. 85mm 1.8 on FX @ $500 for almost the same FOV.
85mm 1.8 on DX @ ~$500 vs ???? on FX = 127mm FOV.
70-200mm 2.8 on DX @ ~$2300 vs. 300mm f/2.9 on FX @ $5800

The sad fact is... Nikon doesn't make a camera for the 'amateur' Action/Sport photographer.

Having the hindsight of the past 15 years i would say the cost difference between the D7100 and the 7Dmk2 is worth paying. If Nikon ever does come out with the D9000/D400 i would also recommend it for anybody who plans on taking Sports pictures on a budget.

Last edited:
WIth Nikon bodies one does not have to buy the latest and greatest lens.
The OP wasn't specific, but I think uses AF-D lenses.

My 300mm f/4 AF lens was only $300 a far cry from the 300/2.8 AF-S G $5800 lens.
With a screw drive focus it works perfectly fine with my bodies.
and my 80-200/2.8 - great for sports which I think is the same as his.

Sports photography is worse then a drug addiction.. What you have is never good enough.. You always want more/better. I would challenge people who don't understand this to take their current gear and head to a local youth basketball game and see what type of images you get :)

The real question is... How much will D7100 and D7000 prices drop when the D7200 comes out? And how much will the D7200 cost? :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back