Another "What Bag Should I Get?" Thread ... But I've Already Done Some Research ;-)

A

astrostu

I'm about to hit the "Buy" button on B&H for a Canon 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS lens, but before I do, I need to get a new camera bag to go with it. My current Lowepro (no idea what model) holds my 1 body, 2 lenses, a flash, and some accessories. Not large enough given my current equipment list.

I have (or will very soon):
- Canon 350D (Rebel XT)
- 35 mm f/1.4L
- 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS
- 430EX flash
- 1-2 additional lenses depending on what I think I'll need (e.g., the kit 18-55 mm and/or the 70-300 mm Quantaray ... the 600-1000 mm won't fit in the case I'm thinking of anyway)
- tripod (but I'm willing to carry that separately)
- various filters, memory cards, batteries, remote, manual, etc.

I would also like this bag to have room to grow. Like I also have a small video camera I may want to put in it at times. And next year I plan on buying the Canon 24-70 mm f/2.8L lens. And around 2011 I plan on buying the 5D's successor, but will want to probably pack both bodies (one as a backup or for shooting multiple things at once, like at the telescope).

I have had good experience with and I've heard good things about Lowepro. I also don't want a backpack, but rather a shoulder side bag.

Originally, I was thinking of going with the Lowepro Magnum AW, but that's a l'il more than my budget at the moment and I think would be room to grow through 2050.

So I've been looking at the Nova 5 AW. It seems to have good reviews, and folks on this forum seem to like the Nova 4 and 5 (yes, I actually SEARCHED!). It's also more in my price range (with the nice rebate on the 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS, it's like getting the bag for free ;) ).

The only reason I haven't hit Buy yet is that I wanted to first check with you folks to see if you think that bag will actually work for me, with the 1-2 bodies, 3-4 lenses, flash, and accessories. It's listed as "2 SLR bodies with attached lenses, 4-5 additional lenses, a flash and accessories" on B&H, but my tent is listed as a 3-person tent and I wouldn't want more than 2 in there.

I don't know if you are close to a good camera store, but I've found that when buying a bag, it's really beneficial to actually see & handle the bag in person.

I found that it was hard to judge the size & space without seeing it first hand. I had researched and had my mind on a certain bag but when I went to check it out at the local camera store, I ended up buying a much larger bag because I realized that I would need more space that what I thought I wanted.

I agree with Big Mike, you really need to in and see them if at all possible. Comfort and interior space are hard to judge online. Space is very important but you need to take into comfort when purchasing a bag.

I don't know if you are close to a good camera store, but I've found that when buying a bag, it's really beneficial to actually see & handle the bag in person.

I found that it was hard to judge the size & space without seeing it first hand. I had researched and had my mind on a certain bag but when I went to check it out at the local camera store, I ended up buying a much larger bag because I realized that I would need more space that what I thought I wanted.

I keep thinking I live near good camera stores, but their selection of bags and other stuff in general ('cept tripods, lenses, bodies) pretty much sucks. They have tiny things and then backpacks. But "large" and XL shoulder bags, not so much.

I had the nova 3 aw for a while. Loved it and if your stuff fits i would say go for it. I have a vertex backpack now which is ideal for travelling.

I live in Ireland and the AW comes in more than handy.

Mini Trekker AW? Fits 2 bodies, 70-200, '4-6 more lenses'. $140

If $179 is the uper limit of your budget you are pretty much going to be where you are now with Lowepro. There are lots of bags that will give you the ability to expand later but they are generally significantly more than this.

Something like this mabye.....

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Photo...r_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1213908121&sr=1-20

or this....

http://www.amazon.com/Tamrac-697-Wh...r_1_49?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1213908254&sr=1-49

But the beauty of the Magnum you linked is it can be added to a roller which gives you tons of room for expansion even into lighting systems.

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Pro-R...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1213908352&sr=1-3

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
$180 isn't the upper limit. As I said, the Magnum is over my budget. I'm looking for something more like $100 or less. My current bag cost around $30 about 6 years ago for reference if that means anything these days.

I have a Kata 214 torso bag, that I just love. My next bag will be the Kata 102 or 103 rucksack, both of which have lots of storage room for all your gear and more. I also like to have the option to throw my macbook pro in, so a laptop compartment is a requirement for me, it may not be for you. Have a look at the Katas on Amazon or at Adorama.com, they cost a little more, but are very high quality and designed well.

Alright, I went to the two camera stores near me and of course they didn't have either of the two bags I mentioned above (Lowepro Magnum AW, Nova 5). They both had the Nova 4, and I found it was too small for my 70-200 mm f/2.8 lens. And now I've been told that the Nova 5 has been discontinued (and B&H doesn't have).

One had a Nova 200 AW, which would work with some room to grow. I don't think it'd easily fit 2 bodies along with the lenses I have. I also looked at the backpack Mini Trekker AW, which would also work at present, though I think I'd outgrow by the end of next summer (and I'm still not sold on the backpack-type bag).

Any suggestions? Is there a bigger bag out there than the Nova 200 AW that's kinda like the Nova 5?

i just ordered the lowpro sling shot they make some big ones that i dont think are much over 100 bucks and you can wear them as a shoulder bag, i think its worth looking into

i just ordered the lowpro sling shot they make some big ones that i dont think are much over 100 bucks and you can wear them as a shoulder bag, i think its worth looking into

I looked at the slingshot models and I wasn't a fan. I liked the "real" backpacks more than them and would go for the Mini Trekker AW first.

I'm using the Compact AW right now, and aside from it's girth (makes it a little bit of a challenge to move around in really tight spaces cause it can bump into stuff), I love it. Keep in mind that you will probably always be picking more and more gear, so it's nice to have room for a few extra things. And for some reason, I just love LowePro's straps, they are super comfy.

Just my two pennies.

Most reactions

Back