Another Which Camera Thread, D5000 Vs. T1i

I look at third party lenses all the time. I dont really have my heart set on the D5000 though anymore. seeing that D90 made me thirsty for it :lol:

Well, I really dont want a kit. I dont like the 18-55 mm that comes with it. I'd rather get a nice lens to go with a body than to use an 18-55 that i'll sell after a month. might as well put that 100$ from the kit into a new lens right?

Anyways, I think the heading to the camera shop Idea is the best thing to do with this.

Lets look to the future for a moment though, Nikon you said charges more for lenses compared to Canon yet excels in glass quality. If I go Canon I choose from the 50D and the 7D (well also keep in mind whatever comes in the future) If i choose nikon I can go D90-D300-D300s-D700 (and whatever comes in the future)

The D3000 has less megapixels yet its a faster camera.
Huh,?

The Nikon D5000 and the Canon T1i are not comparable cameras, let alone the D3000.

Have alook here at a side-by-side comparison of the Nikon D5000 and the Canon T1i image quality (IQ). The Nikon has better color depth, dynamic range, and low-light ISO than Canon's offering. The D5000 has a $300 lower price, too.

The Nikon camera that is directly comparable to the T1i is the D90.
As you can see here the D90 has a little better IQ than the D5000 but is $200 more than the T1i. The T1i also falls a little short in the frames-per-second, or burst mode category.

The 2 comparisons only look at image quality and not any other camera features, save burst mode.

If it's at all possible I would recommend pulling together the extra $200 and getting the D90.

Over time you'll discover that, at the present time, the big difference between a Canon DSLR camera and a Nikon DSLR camera is the Auto Focus performance and low-light ISO peformance. You may want to research that aspect before you decide.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Pick up a D5000 and use the controls (whether you know what they are for or not), then pick up a T1i and do the same, which one is more natural to you?

Get that one.

This is the correct answer. :cheers:

Pick up a D5000 and use the controls (whether you know what they are for or not), then pick up a T1i and do the same, which one is more natural to you?

Get that one.

This is the correct answer. :cheers:

Yes I already know going into the store is the way to solve things.

But I have a question what makes the D90 excel over the D5000?

Off the top of my head, the D90 has these advantages:
1. Built in motor to AF older lenses.
2. Commander mode for off camera wireless flash (SB600/800/900)
3. Dual command dials.
4. More external buttons for direct access to common functions.

But I have a question what makes the D90 excel over the D5000?

Off the top of my head, the D90 has these advantages:
1. Built in motor to AF older lenses.
2. Commander mode for off camera wireless flash (SB600/800/900)
3. Dual command dials.
4. More external buttons for direct access to common functions.

I knew the D90 Was better, I just need to convince.

But the D5000 has close image quality. why not save the body money and put it towards a nicer lens?

You can certainly do that if you don't think you need the extra features. However you're not going to save any money if shortly down the road you decide to sell the D5000 to get a D90 because you realize how useful dedicated buttons are or that you wish your camera would auto focus a $100 Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens so you didn't have to spend $499 on the 50mm f/1.4 lens. (You can still use the $100 lens, it just won't auto focus.)

Just an example... Only you know what features interest you and what you'll use. The D5000 is a fine camera and will serve you well if you choose to go that route. I only mention this stuff so you are aware of the limitations before buying.

Hi I am very new to this Forum. I went to comment on your post questioning the two cameras (well the various Nikon products and the T1i Canon). I now see, since I have joined and can see all the threads, you have a # of suggestions.

I am sure mine will be a repeat of most, but maybe that will help sway one way or the other.

I was JUST going through the same debate - Nikon or Canon, how much to spend on body, which offers more lenses, or additional flash, etc!!!

Well I had really fell in love with the idea of the D5000 on paper, the live view which is fairly new to Nikon DSLR, and love that it cost less than the D90, but still had the higher mp.

I had always liked the idea of having a Canon though and see a lot of people shoot with Canon.

Like a lot of people have said (including you) I had to go to the store to make the breaking decision between the two as they were so close.

I picked up the D5000 first and looked at it, held it and saw how easy it was to use. Everything was very user friendly, at your finger tips, and felt the quality as well as the look and lay out of it all.

Then I picked up the T1i expecting similar user friendly and quality as there isn't much price difference. WELL my goodness... I was shocked. It takes an amazing shot as well, which ultimately is your goal, BUT it just felt cheap. It was not nearly as simple to just pick up and play with to figure out.

NOW since I have bought my Nikon, I am shocked at all the options it has to play with a picture on the camera before even transferring your images to the computer. I have had so much fun learning the different options for each shot. I am so HAPPY with my decision and just LOVE my new Nikon D5000. I have the 18-55mm lens and 55-200mm both AF-S. That is the nice part about the D5000 too - I was worried about the lenses not being AF compatible as they have to be AF-S or AF-I, well so far any lens I would want are AF-S so not even a concern.

Best of luck! you will have to post your final decision :)

NOYZE your right, The funny part is I was also looking at the 50mm for 100$. wow seeing as that might be a lens in the future I might be going D90.

And Welcome to the forums Shelby, im happy to see that my thread got your first post. Over my research time ive discovered that in store time is the best way to decide.

And yes, I will have to post my decesion here. With pictures of course. But that might be in a while.

Sorry I had to repost, but im thinking this:

D90 body + nikon 50mm (and eventually a battery grip)

or.

D5000 body with an 18-105 or a 18-135. (something along those lines)

Help me!

Most reactions

Back