Another Winter Maternit Set for C&C

clbd39

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My wife and I went to visit some friends and I had my camera and a few lenses so we went out to a park for a very cold and quick bunch of shots...

Nikon D80
Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8
Occasional SB-600 for fill (First time using it...)

C&C Much appreciated

7* makes your hands start to shake really quick! lol, is 6 too many to ask for C&C? if so, sorry

DSC_0007bw_crop.jpg

DSC_0012_crop.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0013v4.jpg

DSC_0037bwv2.jpg

DSC_0039bw.jpg

The lighting seems to be pretty harsh on most of the shots.
TJ

they are decent, they do not blow me away, did you do some editing on these? some of the brighter ones look enhanced.

i guess one could say that the photos look akward? and also just not natural.. idk, noramlly posed photos dont come out right.. Also would like to say im sick of preggo shots with hands all over the stomach, i feel liek some creativity would help

They're pretty Cliche.

I'm biased because I look as maternity pictures as a documented biological function rather than preservation of a miracle. I don't really care about what's going on with other peoples private affairs but I understand that they shouldn't be completely dismissed. If you're showing them off to others to impress them (greedy inlaws excluded:D) it's not doing much.

If they're for "scrap booking" purposes I think they're great.

To grab the attention of someone who doesn't give two peanut decorated ****s about breeding, the last one is absolutely fantastic. I see it as two people taking simultaneous steps to the future.

I know I'm a minority with my opinions on photos like these, but they're just that....opinions.
Technically, I think #1 and #4 are great photos. The de-saturation of #4 looks nice.

Thanks for the opinions and comments, yea we were just out and decided to get some pictures, she's got another 5 months to go so we decided we'd do some trial shots

I am with you all on the "cliche" of the pics, I'm always up for something different, in the last set I had I got some great shots when "she" didn't think we were ready yet and the candids seem to be some of the best

hopefully the next bunch will be less cliche and predictable :)

One more thing, they were taken @ f/2.8 @ 1/160th, do you think that was too slow for pictures in the snow lol ? (that stuff is a great reflector

there was little editing as far as brightness, the only real editing was cropping and saturation

i agree not bad.....except that the lighting is very harsh particularly on their faces

i think the saturation is what did it, however i think number 4 is the best of the bunch

I'd wait until she's got a bigger bump to do the formal portraits.... she hardly looks pregnant to me... i agree with the others about the lighting.

editing in to say that ooops, i read your post again and saw that you were visiting friends and happened to have the camera... so disregard my statement about waiting to do the portraits... i didn't realize it was a spur of the moment thing :lmao:

Last edited:
I'd wait until she's got a bigger bump to do the formal portraits.... she hardly looks pregnant to me... i agree with the others about the lighting.

I agree, btw, your a lucky man... what does she see in you???;) sorry couldnt resist.

They're pretty Cliche.

I'm biased because I look as maternity pictures as a documented biological function rather than preservation of a miracle. I don't really care about what's going on with other peoples private affairs but I understand that they shouldn't be completely dismissed. If you're showing them off to others to impress them (greedy inlaws excluded:D) it's not doing much.

If they're for "scrap booking" purposes I think they're great.

To grab the attention of someone who doesn't give two peanut decorated ****s about breeding, the last one is absolutely fantastic. I see it as two people taking simultaneous steps to the future.

I know I'm a minority with my opinions on photos like these, but they're just that....opinions.
Technically, I think #1 and #4 are great photos. The de-saturation of #4 looks nice.

Its hard for maternity pics not to be cliche... i get critique over the whole "blocks spelling the name" and "heart over the belly"... but 1st time moms love that stuff, even if its cliche. As long as the customer gets what they want, ya know? I never had maternity portraits made, never wanted them...but I think women get them to capture the beauty of the meaning of womanhood... however... In my opinion, my favorite preggie pics are when my husband took a snapshot of my belly every month and i have them in my son's album... its fun to see my belly grow every month and every mom should at least do that!

Its hard for maternity pics not to be cliche... i get critique over the whole "blocks spelling the name" and "heart over the belly"... but 1st time moms love that stuff, even if its cliche. As long as the customer gets what they want, ya know? I never had maternity portraits made, never wanted them...but I think women get them to capture the beauty of the meaning of womanhood... however... In my opinion, my favorite preggie pics are when my husband took a snapshot of my belly every month and i have them in my son's album... its fun to see my belly grow every month and every mom should at least do that!

Well thank you for the advice, I definitely appreciate it! :)

A little more background, the girl is one of my old best friends and her husband is one of my best friends, she happened to become really good friends with my wife, and they were each the other's maid (matron) of honor, so we're really close with them

Which is another reason I posted her "early" maternity pictures, I'd like to make her REAL ones better and more creative, we're hoping to get some in March and April when it's closer and warmer! She has been taking pictures once a week I believe in the same place and it's crazy to see the progression, week 9-10 was a big difference as well as the past 3!

If anyone has any particular GREAT maternity shot links or creative ideas I'd like to see some, I've been through Flickr like crazy and some local photographer's sites but most of it is studio work and I'd like to stay away from that

Most reactions

Back