Ansel Adams .. .. ..Was the -=best=- *weak stomach warning*

Majik Imaje

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
majikimaje.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
That is what most people say, or inclined to believe based on his reputation and his WORK. He was a "master" of the camera, the negative, and the print. I doubt there would be many to ARGUE "that point". But there would be some.. that would have different opinions.

The zone system was an intricate explaination of a system that Ansel Adams used to expose film. I have read it. I don't understand much of it.

It is too complicated for me. I like simple. Simple is easy to understand.

I want to teach you something VERY SIMPLE, it is so simple, but it requires practice, and discipline, BEFORE you can feel comfortable using this method.

it works with any film with the possible exception of "transparency film" becuase this type film requires exact exposure to within 1/2 stop.
but once you UNDERSTAND how and why and with practice, this is also included, I have the results to prove it on this web site.

My expertise is with one film: Kodak Vericolor Professional Film typs S

now I will be truthful with you. I do not know what the word professional is refering to here.. the RESULTS? or the type people that this is designed for ?

I once read these words in a book: Pick one film stick with it. LEARN how to USE that film. That sentence seemed very logical since there are just so many different types of films available by many different manufacurers.

Vericolor film is in my opinion is the most fantastic film Kodak has ever "developed " (pun intended). This is.. as far as I know.. the ONLY FILM that is made to MATCH the original subject with Exacting colors.

I like to think of Veri-color film as a "biblical" film! Jesus always used the words,, "Verily Verily" (truely truely) when He spoke to people..
Jesus is said to be "Very forgiving!" Veri-color film is the exact same way.

Vericolor has such a wide lattitude, unsurpassed by any other film to the best of my knowledge, but then again, I haven't purchased any film in a lot of years and I have never ever tried Vericolor III.

When using Vericolor film, it is so forgiviing you can be 3 stops over or under exposed and still get FANTASTIC results.! Kodak has phampets showing the difference and it is quite impressive to view.

Well now just maybe that is the reason this works..?? But using any film
(color) go outside and take a friend. PUT THAT FRIEND on a park bench.

in bright sun w/distinct shadows. Take all the light readings you want. of the face, clothes, sky, ground etc. wirte them all down and LOOK. Now step back ten feet and shoot 250 F 8 100 ISO EV 15

Where did I get that number from ? Inside the carton of film. it is called a STARTING point. but they use a different number 125 @ F 11 EV 15

Take a challenge.. go out and shoot a roll of film at some park, in bright sunlight USING YOUR LIGHT METER and the "METHOD' that you are comfortable with, because you need these to be perfect.. for PROOF of what I am trying to explain.

NOW.. do the same thing.. agian.. but turn off your light meter. FORGET IT.. now these images ARE NOT GOING TO BE EXPOSED with the same precise method you used before. your uncomfortable using this method.
YOU DON'T KNOW YET... what is going to happen! WHY ? only because you havent paid attention and written EVERYTHING down, spent time looking at the photos with the exposure values etc.
Because if you did.. YOU WOULD SEE something simillar.. with the DATA!
Now do the same excercise but no light meter and take all the photos using the data supplied inside that box, and open f stop when necessary and close f stop when necessary . just by looking..

when you compare those two rolls of film.. I bet.. you will see one roll has negatives of different density and the other roll where you just "guessed" has all the same density all throughout the entire roll.? hm ? !

That is exactly how Kodak knew which numbers to put in side that box of film.

NOW.. this takes practice, and OBSERVATON.. before you will become COMFORTABLE USING THIS.

A professional newspapper reporter doesn't take the time or have the time to adjust, tinker, fiddle, etc. IF he / she is any good at what they do.. THEY HAVE LEARNED.. through experience.. how to shoot.."from the hip"

If you have to tinker, fiddle, focus,adjust, etc.. YOU WILL MISS THAT once in a lifetime shot! but as you are walking down any street.. camera in hand.. looking at the light /shadows on that street, fingers on the aperture ring,.. someting is about to happen you LOOK, quick flick open f-stop 2 stops.. its more than 30 feet away.. flip lens focus ring over to infinity bring it up compose and shoot! you have that shot.!

BUT YOU WILL LOOSE that shot if you have to fiddle about etc.

now we have auto focus; auto expose; auto out-think... you can't adjust.

let the camera do it all.. YOU WILL NEVER GET ANYPLACE IN THIS FIELD.

Learn how to open your eyes. and look at "values"

try this, you have nothing to loose, but so much to gain, I never take but one exposure when I am out taking "candid' photos and most of them sell.

that is my #1 aim.. to make $$ from photography! So I can buy more equipment for my 4 sons. I don't shoot no more. I am disabled and blind.
for all practical purposes. But my sons continue to shoot using the same methods I have taught them.. THIS IS ALL THEY KNOW.

subject matter quick.. polar bear out on the ice bright sun distinct shadows you got 1/ 2 second to take the pic! oh.. ! oh well..

A kid with no experience.. just some words, his daddy taught him!

-=click=- and a small chart in his pocket to look at. he has NO LIGHT METER.. .. -=click=- EVERY SHOT .. consistently exposed.. BECAUSE HE IS DOING THE SAME THING over and over and over again. USING A METER you will be always doing what that meter tells you what to do!

Instead, I just walked up 250 @ F 11 -=click=- and move on to the next shot! I only shoot one frame, and move!

what would you take the time to meter in this scene? and "why ? I am already half a mile away..

".. .. Just like the barber said.. ... .. NEXT !"

JJ.JPG

http://majikimaje.com/pbear.jpg

but if your walking around with your camea set to what you need to use it at under the light conditions your viewing, then you know which way or what to do with the aperture ring BEFORE you compose that shot to -=click=- just by PRACTICNG THIS .. it won't be long before you feel very comfortable using this method..

THEN YOU CAN START: to learn. how to do the same thing. for cloudy days overcast days and raining days. Light is light & dark is dark. you either open your aperture or close it BASED ON YOUR STARTING POINT.
BEFORE you ever get that camera up to your eyes to make the shot.

I didin't learn this overnight.. but if you are ever going to LEARN how to SHOOT FROM THE HIP" then this is MUST TO LEARN!

IT IS SIMPLE, it is foolproof, but it takes TIME to PRACTICE! & it takes time to LOOK and observe that "light", because it is changing all the time.

Our photographs.. are sold in over 40 different countries, around the world, every year.

I think I can say with some authority.. LEARN THIS METHOD!

People .. .. ... like what they see.. and they pay for it. and take it home!

that in itself.. says it ALL.

Could you maybe put a warning up for pictures like that?
It does bother some people ... ALOT

Thank you

but this is how we live. we have to DEFEND ourselves.

what bothers me so much a LOT is people murdering babies for no apprent reason what so ever. to me that just doesn't make any sense.. when people put animals above human life!

this bear had to be taken down or hundreds of childrens lives were at stake.

.. .. for being so kind.. I will take the image out and put up a link instead!

if that would be more appropriate !

Many people don't understand our way of life. We do not hunt the polar bear, but when we have to defend ourselves we have to take that bear down to protect innocent lives.

Polar bears are now on the endangered species list. We will always do our best to get that bear back out on the ocean ice and out of town if we can.

Last week a mother and 3 cubs entered our village looking for food. We were very lucky that no one was harmed and we safely got that mother out of town with her children.. back to the ocean ice.

a few weeks earlier the outcome was not the same.. at different times during the week.. 3 different bears came into town.. they had to be taken down. To save the people in town. When a bear heads for the inside of any house.. we have to take that bear down immediately.

Polar bears are not soft cuddly creatures, they are extemely dangerous and unpredictable. I lost a very close friend in dec 1990 who was eaten by a polar bear in Point Lay Charles Stalker Jr. III. He was my apprentice.

That bear was going after his pregnant girl - friend.. Charles 5' 2"
distracted that bear away and then attempted to take the bear down with a knife. Charles Lost.! sob.

Many people do not know that even after a polar bear is killed.. that bear can still kill you very easily.. TOO MUCH VITAMIN A

GET SOME on your skini.. your DEAD! ALL "bears" are left handed!

I can understand that it might be necessary to kill the bears for your protection, but this thread isn't about your way of life. You could have illustrated the same point about exposure with a photo of kids making a snowman. If you had done that, maybe there would be some comments here on your method instead of just about the photo, which unfortunately seems to have overshadowed the good points you were making.

I will try your method, because I've often thought about this, and now that I'm shooting digital it will be easier to try. I figured that after long enough shooting with the meter, I would learn to measure light with my eye, and to some extent that has been the case, but I can see how someone would learn a lot faster if they disregarded the meter.

I'm sorry about your friend. I can't imagine living in an area that is terrorized by polar bears. Where I live, we have wolves, which we are not allowed to kill. No human fatalities yet (only animals), but it's scary to see them when you're walking around alone late at night.

Well I guess that settles it. I'll now have to start forgetting what I learned from Ansel. What would he have known, after all?

why are you twisting around what I said.. ?

I stated he was the best.. and that I found his system too much for ME to understand..

if you understood it ,go for it.. I couldn't relate or understand that.. YOU ARE TRUELY a much more patient man that I was and much smarter, cause YOU COULD understand.. what did he know anyway? THE MAN WAS BRILLIANT!

don't put down his brilliant work please, with your childish sarcasim!

why are you twisting around what I said.. ?

I stated he was the best.. and that I found his system too much for ME to understand..

if you understood it ,go for it.. I couldn't relate or understand that.. YOU ARE TRUELY a much more patient man that I was and much smarter, cause YOU COULD understand.. what did he know anyway? THE MAN WAS BRILLIANT!

don't put down his brilliant work please, with your childish sarcasim!

You need to relax and allow other people to have their opinions without considering them an attack on yours.

I didn't put him or his work down, you did. I'll trade you my childish sarcasm for your blowhard arrogance. Fair enough?
I have read this thread and not picked up on anything as a put down to AA by the OP.

Please keep the thread on topic without exchanging barbs, guys.

Thanks, all.

Excellant pic to illustrate his point. White fur on snow with blacks. Details everywhere. Too bad some peoplr get distraced by the image and miss the point.

perhaps the most difficult of any scene there is to "meter" correctly and it is done with no light meter at all.

and "perfect" is the exact word to use for this "difficult exposure"

Thank you so much for your comments!

At least ONE PERSON knows what I am talking about! thank you so much.

I have taught this method to 4th graders and very elderly people and no one has ever had a problem picking this up and using it with XCELENT results.

and I included two different images taken years apart with the exact same setting.. 250 @ F 11 I know every exposure value I have shot at, just by looking at the image!

Hi Majik,

Thanks for the nice tutorial.

I find it disturbing that people start complaining about a dead bear, while still having a pound of meat as dinner. Is there a forum rule here to avoid pictures of dead animals? To me it sounds like they just trying to **** you off. In the Netherlands there recently was a national commotion when a small bird was shot down in a sportshall where they were setting up a new record count of domino tiles, as they had no other way to catch the bird. I think that all unnecesary harm to animals should be avoided if possible, but anyone being serious about this please get vegetarian first, and stop watching movies with bloody murder every 10 minutes or less...

A question: do you think your way of exposure setting is useful with the current digitals? Consider that film is much more tolerant for overexposure, while digitals have a maximum exposure above which *everything* is lost. Secondly, the auto exposures are so good (multi-area exposure check) that I so far never ran into problems by having it set automatically (if chosen the correct (multispot) mode :er: ). Final exposure tweaking (making the exposure a bit lighter) can be done pretty well in the digital darkroom using the raw photos. Finally, having a good automatic exposure saves you valuable time that might be the difference between having captured or missed the event.

What bothers me is that you actually changed the photograph in this post and bent to being sensored, let alone that you sensored yourself. Censorship, and the suggestions of it, is what is truely disturbing here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back