Anticipation (C&C)

bazooka

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.dirtjournal.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got an idea for this shot in my head and I captured the essence of what I was going for, but I'm looking for ways to improve on this to really get a sense of how the dog is eagerly awaiting my "take it" command. Do you get that feeling, or do you get more of a feeling like she doesn't want it?

One thing that bothers me is how clearly the shallow focal plane makes a line across the carpet. I guess I should decrease the aperture? I'm not sure how else to make this less distracting.

I don't have a flash other than onboard, but I do have some cheap shop lights I could throw down if that would help. I also have some black velvetine if that would make a better drop. I'm not very good at indoor stuff and could use some help from some of you more experienced guys. Thanks!

50mm
f/1.4
1/25
ISO 640

DPP_0023.jpg

it would have been nice to see the dog's eyes looking longingly at the treat. Also, to make the line on the carpet go away, shoot on a floor that is not carpet? perhaps the floor of your garage or something with less texture. or just blur it in photoshop.

Untitled-1-1.jpg

hope you don't mind me giving this a go...

edits:
blur and mask layer in photoshop
adjust levels to lighten photo
adjust white balance
rotate photo to level it

Hey, that looks much better, thanks! Anyone else have anything for me?

At the moment it focuses on the biscuit, which makes me feel like the dog isn't getting it. If you had the biscuit sharp, as is, but we were able to see the dogs longing eyes, that would work for me...I don't like the blur this side of the biscuit.

I can see where you were going with this though, and i like the idea :) xx

I love the idea for this photo...I know the dog I grew up with would never, ever have the patience (or training) to give me enough time to take this shot!

great concept, I'd think it'd be cool to see one with a reversed focal point (dog in focus - treat not) since it is the dog's expression that would be gold. might be worth a try to shoot from the side - both in focus - to show the idea.

Just my thoughts - I do tend to get more excited about the concept and composition of a shot, but I thought this was on the right track creatively.

Thanks for the additional comments guys. I think I'm going to reshoot, perhaps with some extra light on the dog... use a little smaller aperture to increase DOF, and also try a shot with the dog (Lucy if you're curious :) ) in focus, and also a side shot. On the side shot, I was thinking it'd be funny just to have her nose poking into one side of the frame, and the milk bone on the other side. Unfortunately, I won't have time to reshoot tonight. Probably tomorrow night.

I'm still open to further comments if anyone has anything to add, even if it's already been said.

I've used up all my "Thanks" today, so I'll make sure to get you one tomorrow Eddie. :)

I want to like this photo because it's such a great concept, dog, cookie, angle, everything is there but I just can't get passed the dog being so out of focus along with the foreground carpet. :( I'd love to see it reshot with doggy more in focus, because I think it will be awesome.

Most reactions

Back