Antique Flash Photography?

BradFenichel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Here's an off-the-wall question.

I recently picked up some vintage/antique camera equipment and accessories at an estate sale. One of the items in the lot was a small bottle of what appeared to be shiny lead BBs -- the kind you load in a child's BB gun. But on closer inspection they are not metal at all. You can easily crush the "BB" with a pair of pliers, and the inside consists of a brittle white substance that crushes to powder.

Since this was in with all the antique camera accessories, I'm wondering whether it might be a form of flash powder that was used back-in-the day.

I'm very curious about this. Does anyone know whether flash powder was sold in "pill" form, with a shiny outside, resembling BBs?

Thanks!
Brad

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not as far as I'm aware, but I don't know a lot about it. It sounds more like a processing chemical to me; do they dissolve easily in water? (BTW, be careful, some of that old stuff can be VERY nasty!)

vintagesnaps

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
How antique are these cameras? If it's in an unmarked glass bottle I wonder too if it's some really old chemistry, maybe something someone removed from an original container and stored themselves in a darkroom.

limr

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
moderndinosaur.wordpress.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
It's probably not this, and it's going to sound crazy, but I swear they sound just like dragees, which are small metallic-looking balls that are used for decoration on cakes and cookies.
http://www.amazon.com/India-Tree-Silver-French-Dragees/dp/B001HNXXMG/ref=pd_sbs_k_3

Never knew what they were called (and what a weird name it is!) but my mother always used to have them around when I was a girl. They came in small bottles. My sister and I used to sneak a few and just eat them straight and the silver coating would come off quite easily. Not that I suggest eating them to test out ;) but perhaps you throw a few of them in a glass of water and see if the coating soaks off. Whatever they are, it seems best to take them to a lab to check the composition.

It doesn't make any kind of sense that dragees would be included in a camera lot, but you never know if a container accidentally fell in there. I honestly can't think of any photography-related use other than the aforementioned pill-form chemicals. And I have no idea if chemicals were ever sold in that sort of pill form.

vintagesnaps

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know what those are! used on cookies and cupcakes and made out of sugar, would roll all over the kitchen counter if they got spilled. It does sound similar, I guess you never know what might have been stuck in with some old darkroom supplies.

The only really old chemistry I ever had that came in with some darkroom supplies was powder or well, maybe powder at one time, I got something that was caked and had gotten hard as a rock over the years. I don't know either what might have been in a small ball-like pellet form (or whatever you'd call it).

Most reactions