Any DIY projects to share?

usayit

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
North New Jersey, United States of America
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I like to think of my self as a handy guy... when time permitted, I don't mind doing my own repair DIY projects on my cars, house, computers and appliances. Other than setting up the exhaust vents in my darkroom, I never really did anything DIY related to photography.

So here's my first...

I have a fast 50mm that I like shooting wide.... even in daylight. All I have is a 3 stop ND filter but I needed some flexibility. Next step... a collection of ND filters but that just seems like more junk to pack. Singh-Ray makes a Variable ND filter but at $350-$400 I think they are a bit expensive.. Someone mentioned two polarizers... but adjusting is a pain since both stacked polarizers have a tendancy to turn together instead of seperately. They are also a bit thick which can mean some vinetting can occur.

So today I went to the local camera show today (unfortunately it is pretty much dying out now due to the popularity of modern digital) and picked up two same brand 67mm circular polarizers and one plain jane UV. Three of those filters plus a step down ring cost only $35... not bad eh. Popped out the glass of the UV filter and replaced it with the glass of one of the two polarizers. The modified UV (now polarized) filter is stacked on the other polarizer. There you have it.... the same behavior as the Singh-Ray Variable ND for 1/10 the cost in a nice package. If you do the same, just make sure the filters purchased will easily allow you to remove the glass.

Now I just need to take a paint marker and measure the points for 2, 3 ,4 ,5 etc.. stops.

How about you guys... any interesting DIY projects? I know of one fellow on another forum fitting the digital back of a P&S to the back of a modified Leica rangefinder... a bit too complex for me to tackle.

Just remembered that I did do a minor thing a while back.

The original Canon strap that came with my Elan IIe wasn't serving me too well. Cut up an old bicycle inner tube and sewed it to the inside of the strap using heavy duty thread. I then sewed a strip of elastic forming straps from which I would insert my film canisters. Up to now... that strap serves me well on my Elan IIe. The strap no longer slips from my shoulder and I carry 4 rolls on the strap itself.

Hmm. So far, I have only made a huge lightbox out of foamcore, a ring flash out of aluminum tins and some other items, and a flash funnel out of photo paper for my reversed-lens macro setup.

Most reactions

Back