any free RAW processing programs???

From what I understand the different manufacturers have slightly different RAW files so you have to have a program specific to it.
Olympus do a free plug-in for PS to process theirs if you don't want to use Master software.
Other manufacturers may do the same.

You should have either gotten a program with your 10D to deal with it or should be able to download one from canon.com

Go to Canon's website and download Digital Photo Professional. It's free forever, although I agree, that C1 is far far superior, and LE can be had for $99.

The latest version of Gimp (which is free, both libre and gratis) understands RAW, or you can use dcraw (see below) to convert. Gimp is an excellent image-processing application except for one major flaw, which is that it is limited to 8-bit/color-sample (i.e., 24- or 36-bpp color space, where 36 bpp really means left-aligned 24-bpp in a 36-bit word). While 24 bpp is sufficient to reproduce all the color fidelity most humans can discern, you need the extra bits in most RAW files for highlight and shadow recovery (converting detail that is there but not humanly perceptable to detail that is perceptable).

See www.gimp.org.

dcraw provides a command-line utility and library for converting most any RAW format (including proprietary ones) to portable pixmap format. Then you can use any ppm-compliant utility (e.g. ImageMagick) to convert to your desired format.
(I am pretty sure Gimp uses dcraw for its RAW import.)
Here is a URL:

www.insflug.org/raw/software/tools/dcraw.php3

Bibble is a very nice RAW processing program, which uses dcraw for input, that you can have free for a 14-day trial period. I use the full BibblePro version on an AMD XP 3000+ system running Linux 2.6 and am very happy with it. You can use Bibble for general processing, color balance, exposure compensation, highlight/shadow recovery, etc., and then pipe the output directly to Gimp for further processing. Go to

www.bibblelabs.com

Most reactions

Back