Any hints for a new D40 owner? ? ? ?

central_texan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have just received my new Nikon D40 with 18-55 and 55-200 Nikkor AF lenses. Does anyone have any words of wisdom that might help me get off to a great start with this combination? I also have an old Nikon FG with several non-AF lenses. I plan to use them in the M mode also. Any pointers might help a lot.
I know that by using a camera, you will learn shortcuts and secrets that just take time and experience to learn. Anything that anyone might feel comfortable in passing on would be appreciated.

Read your manual so you know what you need to do to your camera to make it do what you want.

The most important advice I or any other photographer out there can give you is to shoot a lot--digital lets you take hundreds of images practically for free, so take advantage of that.

Get out and shoot.

Shoot, Shoot, Shoot! The more pictures you take the more you learn, there is no better advice out there. And with digital you can go look at the exif data for the pics you like and see what shutter, aperature, iso, etc that worked for that situation. Ohh and the flash on the camera is worthless, I get better results from a $25 no-name flash I had in my camera bag from years ago.

did you buy the d40 package with the 55-200 included? cuz im thinking about buying the same package but just wondering how you like the 55-200 without the VR, thats the only thing making me question buying it. have you had any issues with the vibration?

did you buy the d40 package with the 55-200 included? cuz im thinking about buying the same package but just wondering how you like the 55-200 without the VR, thats the only thing making me question buying it. have you had any issues with the vibration?

The Nikkor 55-200 VR has some other improvements other than VR over the original version.

If you have the chance, get the newer version instead of the older, non-VR version.

Best advice is to read your manual and learn from experience.

I hated having to read all 200+ pages of my manual, but I learned so much about what my camera was capable of doing that it really is worth the time it takes. I was pretty surprised how much these DSLR's are capable of when I got done.

I have the D40x with the same lens package but I do have vr on my 200mm, I cant think of any special tips I can give but to read everything you can get your hands on and shoot tons of pics. Its a great camera Enjoy it.

yes, buy a rebel.

im a diehard canon fan. all 4 of my cameras are canon. actually the D40 is a great begginers camera, i just dont like how it can only autofocus with certain lenses (i forgot which ones). just shoot. alot. thats how i learned.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back