Any Idea What Kind of Filter This Is?

Harmony

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I've started taking a photo class at my highschool and one of my friends is lending me his old film SLR. This class is my first introduction to film photography. He's lent me a huge bucketload of stuff, with the camera being a Nikon FM2.

There's also a filter, the kind of which I am clueless. I must be doing something wrong, because I'm not getting any answers on search engines. It's a Black's Coated 1A, 52 mm. When I look through it, the glass is tinted slightly pink. It screws on and fits on the 28mm Nikkor lens. Is it just a UV filter? I find that sort of redundant since the 28 mm already has a UV filter on it... any help finding out what it is/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I have a couple of them. 'Bout all they do is help cut the UV radiation, but the skylight might add a warm tone to the photo.

Ahhh. I see. Would they add anything to a BW photo? (that's the kind of photography we are doing in the class.)

It is slightly useful for color photography and I doubt you will notice any difference with B&W use. Some claim to keep them on for protection of your lens, I say that is what lens caps are for, so throw it out or sell it and buy a decent lens shade instead. That will help your photographs much more than any filter.

For reference on filters:
http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/handbook/pdf/B+WHandbook_Full.pdf

Holy crap! I've clicked the link 5 minutes ago and it's STILL loading... although from what i can tell, it's a veritable ebook. 68 pages!

Thanks so much for the link, JC! It's crazily helpful, and (need I mention again?) huge!

Most reactions

Back