Any ideas for Mosque pictures

THORHAMMER

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I wanted to see what everyone thought...
I am very interested in Mosques lately. probably since they are in the news a lot.

This doesnt have anything to do with religious beliefs or anything like that, I just find them interesting. I know there are a few around where I live. I dont have any qualms about taking pictures of the exteriors,
I wish there was a way to take pictures of the interiors as well.
do you guys think this is something I should back away from due to all the weird stuff in the news.
Or should I shoot it if it interests me.?

I cant think of any reasons NOT to shoot it. But just wanting to pick everyones brain. I know muslims do not believe in photography or like to have their pictures taken,I dont want to upset them,

BUT at the same time, this is america and this is what I do, I take pictures....

What do you guys think, am I being overly sensitive on this one? Should I just go out and shoot ?
-Hammer..

I think asking is definitely the best policy. And if they're not down, well, they have just as much of a right not to have their photo taken as you do to take pictures. I think if you're polite and respectful you'll achieve better photos in the end then if you were to just force yourself on them.

I know muslims do not believe in photography or like to have their pictures taken,I dont want to upset them,

I know a lot of Muslim photographers. And even more who were subjects of photographs. Where are you getting your information?

Honestly, ask the Imam of the mosque if you are unsure.

Holy places are sensitive in all cultures. Do not just go out and shoot. Ask permission first and be very clear on you intentions.

This concept could produce some amazing results. Do not be shy.

Love & Bass

thanks for the advice, I think I will try to ask permission, perhaps I can strike up a dialouge...

I guess it depends on who you ask, some are more old school and see it as forbidden, some are more up on the times. Some think it depends on why you are taking the pictures. there are at least 2 or 3 different schools of thought.
I think the ones that take the wrong stuff literally are the trouble makers.
(as in many religions)

I cant worry about those guys cause youll NEVER make them happy or appease them no matter how you ask, but the normal guys I can hope to
learn something from about their culture from...

Thanks for the ideas... asking has always helped me in the past !!

It really depends on where you are as to the sort of reaction you are going to get. Here in Saudi, I'd be extremely careful about photographing a mosque - as in I'd make damned sure no one knew I was doing it, which is easier said than done. You would certainly be unlikely to set up a tripod pointed at a mosque and not attract a level of attention you wouldn't want. That said, I'm fairly certain that by asking permission, it could be done.

However, across in Bahrain, I know I can walk up to the front of the Grand Mosque, take my shoes off and go for a guided tour, taking picture all the way round without the slightest hassle.

At the end of the day, it's a courtesy thing. There are parts of the Islamic world that frown heavily on images of any living creature and to that end you won't find statuary or the like about the place. On the other hand you try and find an electrical store here that doesn't sell digi-cams by the bucket load, or film processing stores or camera phones.

Incidentally, I did a search for 'mosque' on flickr and got 158,296 results - if nothing else, it should be good for some inspiration. I also did a sub-search and got 478 results for mosques tagged with Saudi Arabia.

thanks Chris !

I was hoping you would have some ideas. Ill let everyone know how it goes.

Most reactions

Back