Any landscape photographers considering the Hasselblad X1D or Fuji GFX 50s?

I'm in both the GFX and X1D groups and landscape photographers are hard to find in either group.
From my point of view it is difficult to make a decision here as I'd really love to hear some feedback from professional landscape photographers who would surely be interested in both of these cameras.

having jumped from canon to sony, not having the lens lineup has been a pain. I also wonder if the hassy acquisition is more of an inside way to get licensing for sony's larger sensor should they need it for a future 360 format camera style - just wondering. :icon_scratch:

I do know this I am not buying a first generation of any electronic merchandise

My Hasselblad X1D arrived today, most of my Nikon stuff already sold.

I'm all in! :biggrin-93:

What interests me most about the GFX 50 is the chance Fuji might roll-out a down-spec model(e.g., XT-2>XT-20)to broaden demand for the new lens mount.
Sorry, but thats definitely not gonna happen. The majority of the cost of the GFX is the sensor.

[...] it seems to be mostly commercial and fashion and portrait shooters who seem to be interested in this new camera, as well as the usual assortment of wealthy amateurs.
I think these two cameras have a good chance to open new markets for which such cameras have been too expensive before.

Last edited:
What interests me most about the GFX 50 is the chance Fuji might roll-out a down-spec model(e.g., XT-2>XT-20)to broaden demand for the new lens mount.
Sorry, but thats definitely not gonna happen. The majority of the cost of the GFX is the sensor.

[...] it seems to be mostly commercial and fashion and portrait shooters who seem to be interested in this new camera, as well as the usual assortment of wealthy amateurs.
I think these two cameras have a good chance to open new markets for which such cameras have been too expensive before.

They're 8500 bucks on my side of the border. Then there are the lens prices...Its sensor isn't spectacularly larger than full frames, particularly in light of the price. One suspects Fuji will start offering discount lens+body packages soon enough if they want to grow their customer base. High-margin/low-volume has its limits, revenue-wise.

I'm hopeless at landscapes, so there isn't a camera in the world I would buy for that purpose. More broadly I'm interested in watching the progress of both cameras, but right now is a good time to be patient. In the past I used Hasselblads for the vast majority of my work, but it's not the same company as before.

They're 8500 bucks on my side of the border. Then there are the lens prices...Its sensor isn't spectacularly larger than full frames, particularly in light of the price. One suspects Fuji will start offering discount lens+body packages soon enough if they want to grow their customer base. High-margin/low-volume has its limits, revenue-wise.
The only explanation I have for your posting is that you dont seem to be aware how digital sensor price literally explodes when you get to bigger ones.

When you create a sensor, having twice the area means your chance of failure goes up enormously. I read estimates of that being about 8 times.

A full frame sensor is many times more expensive than an APS-C sensor. There is still no new camera you can buy from the shop that has a full frame sensor and has broken the $1000 barrier. While new, current cameras with APS-C can be had for below $500.

For example take a look at the D7200 and the D750. They are basically the same camera - same controls, same autofocus sensor, same features etc. And yet the D750 is much more expensive. Now eBay price searches have gone much more confusing recently but it seems like the legal price for a new D7200 would be at €900 while the price for a new D750 is still at $1800. That would mean the sensor of the D750 is worth $900 more than the sensor of the D7200.

The step from full frame to cropped 645 is almost a doubling of area, again. So again thats about 8 times more cost. So no, your assumptions are wrong: Fujifilm has no way of making the GFX much cheaper. They are already offering you a bargain for the camera body with the GFX, probably hoping to make the actual buck with those really expensive lenses.

The only explanation I have for your posting is that you dont seem to be aware how digital sensor price literally explodes when you get to bigger ones.

When you create a sensor, having twice the area means your chance of failure goes up enormously. I read estimates of that being about 8 times.

A full frame sensor is many times more expensive than an APS-C sensor. There is still no new camera you can buy from the shop that has a full frame sensor and has broken the $1000 barrier. While new, current cameras with APS-C can be had for below $500.

For example take a look at the D7200 and the D750. They are basically the same camera - same controls, same autofocus sensor, same features etc. And yet the D750 is much more expensive. Now eBay price searches have gone much more confusing recently but it seems like the legal price for a new D7200 would be at €900 while the price for a new D750 is still at $1800. That would mean the sensor of the D750 is worth $900 more than the sensor of the D7200.

The step from full frame to cropped 645 is almost a doubling of area, again. So again thats about 8 times more cost. So no, your assumptions are wrong: Fujifilm has no way of making the GFX much cheaper. They are already offering you a bargain for the camera body with the GFX, probably hoping to make the actual buck with those really expensive lenses.

Spare me the math/sensor real estate tutorial, OK? Fuji GFX sales could very well stall a bit after the early adopters/pets get their fill. It's still a pricey piece of kit with the lens costs factored in. Hard to see why the Chinese clonemeisters wouldn't jump on cranking out multi-mount lens adapters given the prices of GFX Fujinon glass. Have a look here sometime:

https://petapixel.com/2016/09/21/fujis-new-medium-format-sensor-size-stacks/

Still think we'll see GFX "package" discounts later this year. Fuji never misses a beat with discounts when the market they so assiduously monitor starts to slow up for their merch.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back