Any Lightroom users in here ??

Reaction score
Website
www.ikandiphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have had LR for some time now but have given up on it many of times. Everytime i pull photos up in there, they are a very dark, orangish/yellow color. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to pull the photo up to match Photoshop which is accurrate to any prints I get done. I have my PS setting on Monitor RGB but after trying 3 different settins in LR, Nothing seems to make the photos pull up in their original color. Is this normal ??

Doesn't sound normal to me.

Firstly, do you have your monitor calibrated?

Your working space in Photoshop should probably be a standard color space, like sRGB, Adobe RGB, ProPhoto etc. The standard for web images and many labs is sRGB, so many people choose to use that in Photoshop all the time.

Lightroom's native color space is ProPhoto (I think) but you can choose whatever color space when you export images. You don't really need to change what space it actually works in.

When you open an image in Photoshop, what is your procedure?
What about Lightroom?

Have you tried changing the camera calibration in LR? It's in the develop module.

And yes, LR2's native colour space is ProPhoto, for the sake of preserving information. Until you export the image though, you shouldn't have to worry about colour management. However, oddly, a dark, yellowish colour sounds like the same thing that would happen if you viewed an Adobe RGB file as if it were sRGB. Still, my bet is on camera calibration being very off for some reason.

Wait what's the issue? Lightroom and Photoshop use a similar rendering engine. Both pull native monitor calibration from windows.

Are you saying your RAW photos look a different colour when opened in Lightroom compared to a JPEG; Are you saying that the Photos in Lightroom and Photoshop look different when you open them as RAWs (your ACR profile in develop settings needs checking); or are you saying that when you open a photo in Lightroom, and then click on edit in photoshop it looks different (very very weird)?

One thing to note is Lightroom and CameraRAW versions run congruently. That means if you have Lightroom 2.4 and CameraRAW 5.4, the code that interprates and renders the image is identical. If you have different versions (LR 2.4 and ACR 4.6 for instance) then you may end up with mixed results, and Lightroom warns you about this.

Big Mike: Lightroom's native colour space is MelissaRGB, a linearised (gamma = 1.0) version of ProPhoto which normally has a native gamma of 1.8

Big Mike: Lightroom's native colour space is MelissaRGB, a linearised (gamma = 1.0) version of ProPhoto which normally has a native gamma of 1.8

*bangs his head on the desk* Just how many blasted colour spaces are there? AHHHHHHHHH!!! (At least it's just a permutation of ProPhoto and not something totally different. I honestly thought it was ProPhoto. *sigh* )

For all intensive purposes it is. The difference is that data recorded by the sensor is linear and has a gamma curve applied to it for the purposes of making it actually look like a photo. It makes sense then to process this data natively in a linear way. This is not a colour space you can do much. It's used exclusively for the computational workings in Lightroom. When you export from Lightroom you don't get this as a choice, you just get ProPhoto Adobe and sRGB. The principle is much the same as us electrical engineering types using base 2 maths, rather than code each decimal digit in binary and do maths on that. It's transparent to the user.

Oh yes, it totally makes sense. I have simply taken to bashing my head against my desk when colour spaces enter my life and decide to stay for tea. :lol:

Oh hey, speaking of gamma, did you hear that Apple has changed the native gamma in Snow Leopard? It's now 2.2 like a PC, instead of 1.8 that was the old Mac standard. Fewer headaches for all, hopefully.

Most of the questions you asked didnt make alot of sense to me since I dont know alot about LR2, however; i do use CS2 and do all of my editing in that on a daily basis. I never have issues with the color of my photos when i first pull a photo up. I only shoot in jpeg. Not sure if that makes a difference in LR? I have had LR2 for about a year now and decided i wanted to see what all the hype was about so i tried it out several time and everytime i try to pull up a photo, they are horrible looking. Very dark orange looking. I tried the different color spaces and none of them made a difference. I have other software editing programs I use also besides PS and i have never had any problems with the color of my photos in any of them. Not only that, but I know my colors are accurrate in CS2 because my prints match perfectly. So just not sure why LR is doing this ?

Here is an example of what I am seeing. Sorry if this comes out huge! But i wanted to show you what I am seeing in each:
CS2
cs2sample.jpg

LR2
SAMPLELR.jpg

...Well now that's funky. Does the JPG have an ICC profile? You can find this by looking at the file info through your operating system (Windows: Explorer --> right-click --> properties. OS X: Finder --> select file --> Cmd + I).

...Well now that's funky. Does the JPG have an ICC profile? You can find this by looking at the file info through your operating system (Windows: Explorer --> right-click --> properties. OS X: Finder --> select file --> Cmd + I).

hmmm..sorry, but you lost me. I'm not sure about that. But it is funky isnt it! I am killin myself trying to figure out what the deal is! grrr

Adobe's Lightroom is a nice image database manager, that also has a really nice RAW image editor, that can batch process.

JPEGs have already been post processed to one extent or another in the camera and reduced to an 8-bit color depth, from the 12 or 14 bit color depth the image was originally captured in.

If you have a 10 MP camera, every time you snap a JPEG, it's kind of like tossing out 8 MP of image data, before you ever see an image, let alone do any editing. If you then crop, you wind up with less than 2 MP of image data.

If you capture JPEGs at less than Large, Fine the camera tosses even more data.

Adobe's Lightroom is a nice image database manager, that also has a really nice RAW image editor, that can batch process.

JPEGs have already been post processed to one extent or another in the camera and reduced to an 8-bit color depth, from the 12 or 14 bit color depth the image was originally captured in.

If you have a 10 MP camera, every time you snap a JPEG, it's kind of like tossing out 8 MP of image data, before you ever see an image, let alone do any editing. If you then crop, you wind up with less than 2 MP of image data.

I Have a 21 mp camera though. And i also shot a picture in raw a moment ago and uploaded that and it didnt make a difference. Still has the yellow hue

I Have a 21 mp camera though. And i also shot a picture in raw a moment ago and uploaded that and it didnt make a difference. Still has the yellow hue

Go to the Develop module in LR2, scroll down the right sidebar, and open the Camera Calibration pane. Try different settings, including Camera Faithful. Something will hopefully work. Otherwise, it may be wise to create a profile for your camera using a colour card and Adobe's DNG Profile Editor.

The 10MP example keeps the math simple.

So your 21 MP camera toss out 15 MP before you see an image, and you wind up with a 5 MP file instead of a 2 MP file.

Saves a lot of HD space though. ;)

Most reactions

Back