any national grographic photographers?

wesd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photosbywesley.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Has anyone here gotten there images in the national geographic magazine. For years I have dreamed aout backpacking through exotic locations doing photography.
Wes

i doubt you'll find anyone on here who has.

There was an image from NG posted here no too long ago but I'm not sure if it was posted by the photog or by someone else. I think it was of a whale. Sorry if that doesn't help much.

On the other hand, I assisted a photog from NG for 2 years (after he left NG of course) and it is not as glamorous as it sounds. It is work, not backpacking through exotic places. And it can sometimes be quite dangerous too. When you go someplace for a few months, you know what the situation is when you leave but you don't know what it's going to be like in a month or two and he found himself in some very unpleasant situations a few times.

There's a movie about NG photogs. Never seen it but it is supposed to be pretty good. However, it is produced by NG so it may not be as candid as it could about the more unpleasant aspects of the job.

It is available from Netflix.

Yep - the job's not as great as everyone thinks it would be.

I'd go for Lonely Planet any day, though. ;)

It's not as glamourours as it seems! No way. Yet still, wouldn't we all like to say that we could take NG quality photos! I could have done it when I was younger, now no way I could face going away from family and friends for months at a time to sometimes inhospitabale areas.

he found himself in some very unpleasant situations a few times.

Yes, even what seemed to be simple situations can get complicated. I was shooting aztec ruins in one location where the iguana were so numerous and so large that it was even difficult to walk for fear of stepping on an iguana and angering it. Their claws are rather sharp by the way, so I found out through experience. I had to have a colleague get a large one off my shoulder.

skieur

Yep the life of the photographer can be highly risky

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1HLgdm04ig]YouTube - 'You are being shagged by a rare parrot' - Last Chance To See - BBC Two[MIRROR][/ame]

might contain a naughty word or two

Has anyone here gotten there images in the national geographic magazine. For years I have dreamed aout backpacking through exotic locations doing photography.
Wes

don't think of this place so highly. :lmao:

No, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lmao:

Yep - the job's not as great as everyone thinks it would be.

Far from me the idea that it is not a great job. It is. The guy I worked for didn't regret a second of it. Although it is an easier job for younger people.

I only meant that it is not as glamourous as it seems and it can be rough. If it was my dream, I would go for it. But I like going into things with my eyes wide open to the reality.

I've always dreamed of it.

It's probably worth noting that National Geographic (like most major magazines) employs very few staff photographers-- almost all of their images are made by people hired for that specific job. So, like most photographic jobs, it's a matter of being in the right place with the right skill set at the right time.

Most reactions

Back