Any news on the 'D400'?

Do you think the D400 is Coming?

• It is Coming

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Its Not Coming

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
I say crop factor just to keep it simple, didn't want to get into a "field of view" type disussion. The D800 is a great camera, but it is just not optimized for my style of shooting. Yes, in "crop mode" you are effectively using a 16mp crop sensor on the D800 at 5 FPS I think. It would be great to have the high ISO performance that the D800 offers, My hope is if the D400 really exists it will come pretty close to the high ISO performance of the D800. If Nikon had just taken the D800 sensor and physically cut it down to 16 mp and stuck it into a D300 body I would have been pumped....

coastalconn;3010957 For me full frame is not an option as the "crop factor" put many more pixels on the bird. I think when this D400 is announced it will be much more than a D7100 sensor in a D300 body. I foresee new technology that will be cutting edge for the next three years... just my humble opinion...[/QUOTE said:
Now when you say crop factor, can you not achieve the same results from the D800 DX mode? I realize buying an FX camera only to shoot DX would be a waste, especially if Nikon doe release a D400. I'm just curious.

Well, the D800's DX mode is around 16 megapixels...so it is in effect, a full frame 36-MP camera and a capable DX-mode camera.

I wonder though, at what price point would the D400 be at? the D7100 is $1200, and the D600 is $2000...
how much more would someone pay for a D400 over the D7100 (even being a little "better") before it just becomes a better option to go with the D600, or to save
money getting the D7100 and get some better glass?

Is it possible that Nikon is no longer going to differentiate between consumer/prosumer/pro bodies and just bridge the upper end consumer with what used to be the prosumer line? IE, a D7200 instead of a D400?
If a D400 DOES come out, Im not sure it will be a big enough upgrade over the D7100 to make it worth trading up, (for me anyway) and if its too close in price to the D600 line, its almost better to just go to the FX line.

I kinda think this is where Nikon is going. Push the former "prosumer" buyers into FX. the D600 is only a little bit more than the D300/300s was when it retailed new, as apposed to the HUGE price jump from the D300s to the D3 line.
im still interested in seeing if Nikon plans on updating the Dx00 line, but since the D7100 pretty much gave me everything I needed, i cant complain too much if they dont do a D400.

Nikon is in many ways, inscrutable. The D7100 and D600 are built in the same assembly plant in Thailand, and share MANY of the same parts. Which keeps costs down, and increases both profit, and manufacturing efficiency, and reduces some supply problems with parts. I can see Nikon making a D400 based on the D800 body/chassis as well. I really think that Nikon has a pretty substantial reason to produce a "semi-pro" D400 body, with a deep buffer, and the ability to push data through the camera at high speed. Since the D4 is priced at a shade under $7k and is a 16 megapixel full-frame, I expect that a D400 would probably have to be a 24 MP crop-body,at minimum, to keep all potential buyers happy, and to leverage the crop-field advantage that so many long lens shooters actually LOVE about DX Nikons. With the D4 at 7K, there's a lot of price flexibility I think.

It could NOT be a 16MP DX sensor...pixel density would be insufficient on paper to even compete...the D3200,5200,and 7100 are all 24-MP DX cameras, so the D400 needs to have at the minimum, 24MP. And it needs a deep buffer, a minimum of 25 frames, with 29 to 30 even better. AND, unlike the D7100, the write mechanism needs to be a high-specification mechanism. DUAL storage cards are also a must-have I think. Great video is a must-have feature too I think, for sales success. It should offer Nikon Professional Services qualification too. Price? For all that goodness? $1899 to $2199 to start.

I will be impressed if Nikon can push ~30MB images files around in memory while sustaining ~7fps for over 2 seconds... and keep the price under $2k.

I've got my D400 cash in hand... the question is.... this fall will that cash buy a D400 or the D800. I'm not spending more for a DX body then i can for a used/refub D800 (or a used D3s!).

It could NOT be a 16MP DX sensor...pixel density would be insufficient on paper to even compete...the D3200,5200,and 7100 are all 24-MP DX cameras, so the D400 needs to have at the minimum, 24MP. And it needs a deep buffer, a minimum of 25 frames, with 29 to 30 even better. AND, unlike the D7100, the write mechanism needs to be a high-specification mechanism. DUAL storage cards are also a must-have I think. Great video is a must-have feature too I think, for sales success. It should offer Nikon Professional Services qualification too. Price? For all that goodness? $1899 to $2199 to start.

At this point it probably can't be 16mp. I was kind of thinking if they had released it 1.5 years ago when the D800 came out. The technology was there.

I will be impressed if Nikon can push ~30MB images files around in memory while sustaining ~7fps for over 2 seconds... and keep the price under $2k.

I've got my D400 cash in hand... the question is.... this fall will that cash buy a D400 or the D800. I'm not spending more for a DX body then i can for a used/refub D800 (or a used D3s!).

I just found this tidbit on Thom Hogan's site. It's from a few days ago. It talks about a brand-new SD storage card Reading Tea Leaves in Things Like Card Introductions | byThom | Thom Hogan

which offers "UHS-II, and R260MB/s-W240MB/s. " which I think qualifies as uber-fast read/write speeds...hmmm... he hints that this new card might be useful in an upcoming Nikon body that would shoot lots of frames, fast...I assume this is a coy reference to the D400 he seems to expect in August.

This post remind me of La La land. I would like the D400 to make my tea and do the ironing whilst taking pictures without me being there.
Hell, I want it to post them straight to Instagram, Facebook and Twitter before they're taken......

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

I just found this tidbit on Thom Hogan's site. It's from a few days ago. It talks about a brand-new SD storage card Reading Tea Leaves in Things Like Card Introductions | byThom | Thom Hogan

which offers "UHS-II, and R260MB/s-W240MB/s. " which I think qualifies as uber-fast read/write speeds...hmmm... he hints that this new card might be useful in an upcoming Nikon body that would shoot lots of frames, fast...I assume this is a coy reference to the D400 he seems to expect in August.

I've seen a few posts about toshiba's UHS-II cards.. With the claimed write speed it could in theory write ~7 24mp RAW images a second. However, the internal buffer still needs to be large enough to support a high (more then 6) number of raw images and fast enough to move them through the system...

Since the D400 is aimed at people who cant afford a D4 im not sure its target audience is willing to fork out over $600US for two 32gb SD cards.

I would choose a 16MP sensor than 24MP!

It would give better noise performance and a larger buffer. I dont see the need for a 24MP sensor at all.

8fps would do just fine.
I fully weathersealed body is expected.
Nikon must think of a new, good, affordable Kit lens for it.

Price must be under $1600 or everyone will just pick up a D600!

This post remind me of La La land. I would like the D400 to make my tea and do the ironing whilst taking pictures without me being there.
Hell, I want it to post them straight to Instagram, Facebook and Twitter before they're taken......

For that, you want one of the new Canon bodies...they have that direct-upload feature...

[h=2]Nikon D400 Rumored Specs[/h]
  • 24MP DX-format CMOS sensor
  • Expeed 4 image processor
  • New AF system (better than D7100 and will be used on Nikon D4s)
  • Up to 1/8000 sec and 8fps or 9 fps shutter speed
  • ISO sensitivity 100-6,400
  • 100% viewfinder coverage
  • 91,000 pixel RGB sensor (from D800)
  • Same controls as on the D800
  • Large buffer size (better than D7100)
  • Advanced video recording capability (up to 60p in HD mode)
  • No AA filter
  • Full magnesium alloy body

I would like it if the 24MP sensor would be 16MP or 18MP
Native ISO should be 100-12800. 3200 ISO must be usable
Buffer size - 8fps upto 2 seconds at least!

I hope these specs are true. If they are, this camera will mostly be flawless! I hope its announced soon aswell.

You should have gotten an iPhone 5 it could do that for you... on a serious note why do you think Nikon should just stand still and not produce a D400?

Latest rumoured spec and price (as of August 1 2013)

Announcement by Nikon expected later this month (August)

MSRP $1999.00
14.3 megapixels (like that better than 24mp)
1080p 24fps
EXCEED Plus processor (30% faster than EXCEED)
AF 51 point
AF tracking by color
AF calibration
3" 922,000 pixel LCD monitor
7 fps (9 with grip)
Sealed Buttons
Magnesium Alloy Body
Virtual Horizon
Single CF Card Slot (I was hoping for 2 slots)

I plan to order one as soon as Nikon makes the announcement

By the way, I do not believe this camera will be called the D400 as the number "400" has negative connotations in Japan. I am thinking D401 (there was a F401) or D500.

Last edited:
Latest rumoured spec and price (as of August 1 2013)

Announcement by Nikon expected later this month (August)

MSRP $1999.00
14.3 megapixels
1080p 24fps
EXCEED Plus processor (30% faster than EXCEED)
AF 51 point
AF tracking by color
AF calibration
3" 922,000 pixel LCD monitor
7 fps (9 with grip)
Sealed Buttons
Magnesium Alloy Body
Virtual Horizon
Single CF Card Slot

I plan to order one as soon as Nikon makes the announcement

Only 14.3? Is that a typo?

Most reactions