Any news on the 'D400'?

Do you think the D400 is Coming?

• It is Coming

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Its Not Coming

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
Latest rumoured spec and price (as of August 1 2013)

Announcement by Nikon expected later this month (August)

MSRP $1999.00
14.3 megapixels
1080p 24fps
EXCEED Plus processor (30% faster than EXCEED)
AF 51 point
AF tracking by color
AF calibration
3" 922,000 pixel LCD monitor
7 fps (9 with grip)
Sealed Buttons
Magnesium Alloy Body
Virtual Horizon
Single CF Card Slot

I plan to order one as soon as Nikon makes the announcement

Only 14.3? Is that a typo?

What he said ^^

I'm also curious a to will people be able to take full advantage of the new options. I mean the D300 runs considerably slower when set to 14bits vs 12 bits.

Not a typo ... 14.8 megapixels - sensor effective 14.3 megapixels.

Ultimately I still plan to purchase a D4 for its full frame and superior picture quality and other features.

Moose Peterson has said (in the current issue of BT Magazine) that he is currently field testing an amazing new camera but has signed a non disclosure agreement with Nikon so cannot say anything about it. I believe is may be the "D400".

Makes me wonder if the new camera "might just be" an FX body????? Seems very weird to offer a 14.3 MP APS-C sensor camera when even the lowest-priced Nikon D-slr body, the D3200, has 24 MP, as do the D5200 and D7100 bodies.

The problem with the D7100 is buffer...it shoots fast, price is right, but the buffer is extremely weak for an "action/event" camera. That is the one thing the D400 needs--fast throughput, and a deep buffer, not a one-second, 6-frame deep buffer like a D7100 in RAW mode.

It is a DX Format Camera. The new processor will be a big improvement. I am sure that they will have increased the buffer significantly over the D300s.

I shoot mostly sports and wildlife so I need the 9 fps with a large buffer. That is why the D4 is still on my wish list.

This is the first I've heard 14.3, that makes no sense what so ever.

Everything else I've read says 24.3 with no aa filter.

Time will tell, but I don't think it would be possible to produce a camera at that price that is 24mp and is able to shoot 7 fps - 9fps with the grip - the buffer would have to be huge. And that is what is missing in the DX format - a camera that can shoot at a high frame rate.

Last edited:
Makes me wonder if the new camera "might just be" an FX body????? Seems very weird to offer a 14.3 MP APS-C sensor camera when even the lowest-priced Nikon D-slr body, the D3200, has 24 MP, as do the D5200 and D7100 bodies.

The problem with the D7100 is buffer...it shoots fast, price is right, but the buffer is extremely weak for an "action/event" camera. That is the one thing the D400 needs--fast throughput, and a deep buffer, not a one-second, 6-frame deep buffer like a D7100 in RAW mode.

My D7100 did just fine catching Nelson Cruz hitting a Grand Slam last month (single shot, non-continuous). I even got some neat pictures of the balls flying through the air :)

I know, I know, just pulling your chain.

Last edited:
IF the D400 does turn out to be 24 megapixels I will pass it up and continue saving for the D4 @ 16 megapixels. I prefer a high frame rate, large buffer, low noise and superior picture quality. With the exception of the D800, which is a great landscape camera, there seems to be too much emphasis on megapixels these days. Give me more dynamic range rather than resolution any day! Just my opinion.

Where did you see the latest specs? NR hasn't said anything... 14.3 sounds sorta goofy, but it is possible that it would have better high ISO performance than the D800 at that pixel density and with a new expeed processor it would have a HUGE buffer..

I just simply can NOT believe Nikon would ever release a 14.3 MP crop-body camera when the cheapest Nikon currently has 24 megapixels!!! THIS site's rumors actually make sense: 24 MP. Nikon D400 Announcement in September 2013 with Expeed 4 and new AF System | Daily Camera News

Their list of possible specifications sounds quite believable, and logical. I think a 14.3 megapixel figure might be the "speed crop" on a reduced-sized part of the APS-C sensor,or just a deliberate mis-information leak to see who might be violating NDA's. The D2x, and the D3-series and the D7100, as well as the D800 for example, offer users different in-camera capture sizes, so I could see 14.3 MP being something like that. But for the capture size of the entire frame area, 14.3 MP just seems too low for an APS-C body released at this time--unless for example, it is simply a High-ISO MONSTER with super tricked-out electronics and in-camera NR that is streets ahead of what they have offered before. I still think the D300s replacement body has just gotta' be a 24MP crop-body, at least.

Oh, I found it. I think NikonBob meant August 1, 2009 which was when the "real" D400 would have been announced... since the rumors were heating up in December of 2008... Just saying.. Nikon D400 | Nikon Rumors

Hi,

I do agree that the D7100 comes up short on a few things but price wise, I'll probably switch to FX before investing in the next best DX camera.

hi,

I do agree that the D7100 comes up short on a few things but price wise, I'll probably switch to FX before investing in the next best DX camera.

No Canon 7Dmk2 for at least another year..
EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR2] « Canon Rumors
We’re told there is zero chance of a 7D Mark II in 2013. The camera is currently slated for release in the second half of 2014. We’re told the final specifications of the camera are far from complete

Nikon let 'slip' the announcement of an unknown new entry level DSLR (D1000?)
Nikon to release new entry level DSLR camera, "revised" compact cameras | Nikon Rumors
Bottom of that story...
Basically we should see three major camera announcements in the next few months in addition to any new Nikon 1 and Coolpix products. Sorry, nothing on the D400 for now (no surprise again since there seems to be a "zero chance of a 7D Mark II in 2013").

When, Nikon? When?!?!?!?

Most reactions

Back