• It is Coming

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Its Not Coming

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

timarp000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Are there any rumours/updates regarding the Nikon D400? Maybe an aprox. price and release date? What do you expect in the D400?

This is what I want -
16-24MP DX Senson
7-9fps Continuous Shooting
Full weather sealing
Good High ISO
Large Buffer
No AA Filter
Good Video Mode

Are any of you waiting for the D400? Do you want one? I do... Hopefully it is announced soon!

I'm the resident D400 guy.. your wants are pretty much what is rumored.. Nikonrumors posted a few weeks back that possibly the end of August announcement.. I have a thread further down the page about unicorns and UFOs...

The D7100's specifications seem to be what was expected to be the D400.

Pretty much, yea.
I had been holding out for years for a d300 replacement. Held off getting a d7000 in the hopes that it would happen. I wanted the 51 point AF system. The d7100 gave me everything i wanted except the full alloy body, which wasn't a huge deal. Neither is the slightly lessened FPS.

Lots of speculative/feature wish list chatter here and elsewhere, so do we really need another D400 thread? Thom Hogan seems to be giving it a qualified "maybe."

I believe that the D400 will appear at same time as domestic fusion reactors, teleporters and hoverboards hit the shelves.

I got mine today in the mail...;)

Except for the dinky 6-shot (1-second) buffer and plastic build and tiny viewfinder with poor eye relief...

No, the D7100's specifications are not what was expected from a D400. The D7100 lacks the pro-style body controls, and the size and heft of a D300s. The proof is the fact that D300s buyers have in many,many cases, refused to buy D7000 or D7100 cameras because neither is a fit replacement for a D300s in actual use--mostly due to the incredibly tiny buffer.

Nikon D7100 Review | byThom | Thom Hogan

I ordered two D400 today instead of buying one D800 :D

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

I hope it comes. I'm still in love with my D300 and my DX 17-55 F2.8. Don't want to be forced to go FX. At least not yet.
Give me a D400 to grow into later, and I'll keep my 17-55 F2.8 around and smile.

Except for the dinky 6-shot (1-second) buffer and plastic build and tiny viewfinder with poor eye relief...

No, the D7100's specifications are not what was expected from a D400. The D7100 lacks the pro-style body controls, and the size and heft of a D300s. The proof is the fact that D300s buyers have in many,many cases, refused to buy D7000 or D7100 cameras because neither is a fit replacement for a D300s in actual use--mostly due to the incredibly tiny buffer.

Nikon D7100 Review | byThom | Thom Hogan

Well aren't you a Ray of Sunshine :lol:

I do agree that the D7100 comes up short on a few things but price wise, I'll probably switch to FX before investing in the next best DX camera. I mean we're starting to find the D600 for $1600 and you can pick up a used D700 for $1000-1200...add a new shutter for $200-300 and it's like new.

In actual use, the D7100 can shoot ONE SECOND'S worth of RAW files...wow...

That is totally, totally NOT what the typical D300s user wants...a lot of shooting situations last for multiple seconds...a six-frame RAW buffer is clearly an entry-level compromise, and if you read the complete review, you'll see that the actual inside-the-camera parts Nikon is using in the D7100 are hampering the camera's performance with only 45 Mb/sec write performance, so it has both a tiny buffer AND lousy write times, due to low-specification parts.

For people like Coastalcom, bird shooters, for example, a one-second buffer is...ridiculous. And then...the camera has been crippled with cheap parts in the write mechanism...and I think that's one of the main reason's he's still using his D300s...when you have to work to get into a shot, but then can only shoot six frames before the camera locks up, and then leisurely writes the images to the card, well...that camera is simply not the right tool for sequential photography unless you are willing to shoot in JPEG mode.

For many people, the D7100 is going to be a GREAT value, no doubt about it. But the move to 24 megapixel file size combined with low-specification write mechanism AND a six-frame buffer in RAW mode is a deal-killer for people used to a D300s or a D3-series body. That's why I expect a D400 to be announced this year. A camera that will be a true, semi-pro Nikon body, not a high-end entry-level camera. A high-performance, DX-format camera for serious users who expect really GOOD specifications.

For people like Coastalcom, bird shooters, for example, a one-second buffer is...ridiculous. And then...the camera has been crippled with cheap parts in the write mechanism...and I think that's one of the main reason's he's still using his D300s...when you have to work to get into a shot, but then can only shoot six frames before the camera locks up, and then leisurely writes the images to the card, well...that camera is simply not the right tool for sequential photography unless you are willing to shoot in JPEG mode.

For many people, the D7100 is going to be a GREAT value, no doubt about it. But the move to 24 megapixel file size combined with low-specification write mechanism AND a six-frame buffer in RAW mode is a deal-killer for people used to a D300s or a D3-series body. That's why I expect a D400 to be announced this year. A camera that will be a true, semi-pro Nikon body, not a high-end entry-level camera. A high-performance, DX-format camera for serious users who expect really GOOD specifications.

Derrel, you know me too well :) I agree the D7100 is a great camera for so many people, but I think I fall into the extreme category... The build and durability is very important to me, I lay on beaches, slosh around in low tide mud, rain and snow and generally shoot in all kinds of environments that aren't camera friendly and I shoot almost every day. Also the full metal body, including the lens mount is very important when I have 6 pounds of glass hanging off the front of the camera. Sometimes Osprey Dive sequences take all 17 shots in my buffer and I would love to have even more, having less would not cut it. Obviously the direct controls are also very important as things change fast in bird world....

For me full frame is not an option as the "crop factor" put many more pixels on the bird. I think when this D400 is announced it will be much more than a D7100 sensor in a D300 body. I foresee new technology that will be cutting edge for the next three years... just my humble opinion...

In actual use, the D7100 can shoot ONE SECOND'S worth of RAW files...wow...

That is totally, totally NOT what the typical D300s user wants...a lot of shooting situations last for multiple seconds...a six-frame RAW buffer is clearly an entry-level compromise, and if you read the complete review, you'll see that the actual inside-the-camera parts Nikon is using in the D7100 are hampering the camera's performance with only 45 Mb/sec write performance, so it has both a tiny buffer AND lousy write times, due to low-specification parts.

Oh I wasn't arguing with you, I just think the cost difference between the next Semi-pro DX camera is going to be pushing close to Nikon's entry level FX cameras. So my next move will be FX.

coastalconn;3010957 For me full frame is not an option as the "crop factor" put many more pixels on the bird. I think when this D400 is announced it will be much more than a D7100 sensor in a D300 body. I foresee new technology that will be cutting edge for the next three years... just my humble opinion...[/QUOTE said:
Now when you say crop factor, can you not achieve the same results from the D800 DX mode? I realize buying an FX camera only to shoot DX would be a waste, especially if Nikon doe release a D400. I'm just curious.

Most reactions

Back