Any one in South Carolina?

PixelPerfect

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pixelperfectphotography.net
I'm looking to move to South Carolina after school here in Boston!
(I HATE SNOW)
but i need to find out what the photography life is like out there!
So i thought what better way to find out than to ask some locals?
:hail: Thanks!

I just left South Carolina. Depends on what part you are going to? I used to live in Charleston, lots to see... beaches, historic downtown. I missed the mountains and nature though. Sure there's nature near, but not the kind I'm used to... I like nature that you don't have to pay to see!

ha i agree with the not paying for nature idea.
I grew up on 75 acres!

I've been hearing charleston is a really good place, a lot of industry
( products )

and a HELL of a lot cheaper than boston ( i pay 1100 for 2 bd nothing incl.)
and nicer people
( can pretty much find that anywhere else )

mabye its a go for next june:)

The people in downtown Charleston are so nice! Sometimes North Charleston wasn't like that.... Summerville has great people too. Mt Pleasant is another place to check out. There's several area beaches you can go to, but downtown Charleston, I could take photos there forever, there's always so much in the architecture and the details and so many historic homes and small gardens.
Beaufort and Hunting Island is nice too. Hunting Island has the only lighthouse in S.C. that you can actually go inside, and up to the top. It's a nice beach too. Edisto is nice too. You got Folly, Isle of Palms, and Kiawah as well. I think they are all nicer and less toursity than Myrtle.
Oh and don't forget the plantations.... But once again everything costs admission. The most expensive plantation, Middleton... it's 25 dollars a person! The others are around 14 dollars a person. Lots of attractions are priced about that much. Least the beaches are free.

I don't know, when I was attending school there, EVERYONE wanted those types of jobs. Hard to get unless you know someone. Visual Arts thrive in Charleston, but getting a job in that scene is next to impossible, least from the point of view of my school, and everyone I knew. My teachers had all worked in the business and would tell you that you were dreaming if you thought you could just wake up and get a job like that. You have to be pretty damn good because there's stiff competition, and a LOT of it. Now advertising I'm not as sure of, and the newspaper might have something you could look into. If you can do internships, I know those popped up from time to time as well.

Once in awhile a job would come up in the newspaper but experience was required. I'd probably just try to talk to everyone you can and create a portfolio and hope for the best. You never know, if you got what it takes you could do it!

My mom wants to move to north carolina. o_o

My daughter lives just outside of Charleston and I got on a website with many local photographers that is a great reference with lots of local knowledge. Try this www.scphotogs.com it should be a great help. Keep us informed as I travel to Charleston 2, 3x's a year to shoot.

I live in Lancaster, SC which is close to Rock Hill, SC and Charlotte, NC.

Charleston is a lovely town, with tons of history and things to constantly photograph. You are also close to Savannah, which is another historic location. Being on the coast also affords you the beach and ocean pictures as well.

One of the hindrances to finding photography jobs is the fact that the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) is right there, and a lot of folks already know people from there and they are able to line up jobs while still in school.

You can check out the Greenville / Spartanburg area. I don't know what they have as far as jobs, but you might find something there. You can also check in Columbia, SC or move up to this area and look in Charlotte, NC. They don't get snow either! LOL

Just outside of Hilton Head Island.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back