Any reason I shouldn't buy a D600?

Braineack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've given myself the opportunity to pick up a refurb'd D600. I'm really impressed with I see shots taken with FF bodies, I can almost spot it out every time, and I'm thinking about taken in the leap.

I'd end up selling my D5100 and Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 to pay for a walking lens for the body. I was thinking about the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 as I like the sigma I currently have and it's much more affordable over Nikon's or maybe try the 24-85mm f/2.8-4D. Then once my car sells in spring pick up I plan to pick up a 70-200 and 1.7TC.

Is there a different path I should consider? Or am I just talking myself out of dropping a lot of money?

After seeing a review of the minor changes of the d610 I'm kinda leaning towards a d610 - just more "neat feature" than anything else - quiet continuous.
But the price difference is probably still large, so a d600 is what I'm looking at going towards too .. sometime. :/

You can borrow my 24-85/2.8-4 if you want to test it for a week, but I'm not selling it :)
It's starting to be my "goto" general use lens

And if you do get the d600 .. you can tell me how impressed you are and push me over the ledge too :lmao:

By the way, what other "path" is there ?
The only way to FF is either with the d600 which is the lowest cost option,
or with a d610 or, with a gigantic price jump new, the d800

I would have been very happily content with a 16mp FF camera. But other than the d4 and Df there isn't one.

FWIW, I've been talking myself out of spending the money. Over and over again.

You will be happy with the D600. Consider getting it with the 24-85 kit lens. It's a good general purpose lens at a great price. Be prepared to do some distortion correction in post with this lens especially when shooting buildings but otherwise great lens.

Because the 6D is better ;)

Nothing wrong with the camera as a negative-maker. The reasons I would never buy it include no 10-pin terminal and the controls are too funky compared to the pro line I'm used to (D300, D700, D3, D4).

I have no issues with the 6D, and may consider it when I go to FF .... but, will it take my Nikon lenses unaltered ?

D600 is a great camera but since it looks like you need someone to play devils edvocate then I will do just that.

1.D600 has the well know (but very exaggerated) oil/dust issue
2.While much cheaper it is still a pretty expensive camera
3.You will loose the crop factor that DX body cameras have which is helpful when you take a picture in the distance
4.D7100-excellent camera today sold new for less then 1000$, D600 only real advantage is in low light situation, IQ is about same and you are getting the extra of 1.3 crop sensor which from experience can be helpful. With this camera you can keep your DX lenses.
5.When you will sell the D600 its sale value will be much less because of the oil/dust issue.

Now getting out of character I can tell you the D7100 really should not be counted out lightly, it really is a phenominal camera and if you dont shoot in low light all the time but more occssionally like most users then you really should give the D7100 another shot.
Personally I wouldnt buy the D600, if I would go for an FX body I would get the D610 mostly for the piece of mind.

I wouldn't touch the D600. If the price difference is $500, I'd still go with the D610. The D600 was replaced with the D610 for very specific reasons, and those are the reasons why you shouldn't get a D600. Someone might chime in with "well that's not the case with my D600": That really is irrelevant. It's about the statistical risk *you* will be taking, and I certainly wouldn't be willing to jump on a D600.

Do cameras has serial numbers where you can determine when they were made?

ie, an early d600 or a later d600

I wouldn't touch the D600. If the price difference is $500, I'd still go with the D610. The D600 was replaced with the D610 for very specific reasons, and those are the reasons why you shouldn't get a D600. Someone might chime in with "well that's not the case with my D600": That really is irrelevant. It's about the statistical risk *you* will be taking, and I certainly wouldn't be willing to jump on a D600.

Do you know anyone "personally" with major issues with their D600? Or are you just chiming in based on what you read on the internet just like the majority of people?

Do you know anyone "personally" with major issues with their D600? Or are you just chiming in based on what you read on the internet just like the majority of people?

He doesn't have to because he is right. It is a statistical risk just like it is a risk to buy a lens with back focusing issues like the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG. Super sharp lens but statistics show that there are a lot of issues with back focusing.

I have no issues with the 6D, and may consider it when I go to FF .... but, will it take my Nikon lenses unaltered ?

Yes, it can accept Nikon lenses unaltered, except for the addition of an F-mount to EF-mount lens adapter. Using Nikkor lenses on a Canon...finally, a way to get some decent optics on a Canon!

Here's the relatively new Fotodiox G-Nikkor adapter, which gives f/stop control to G-series lenses when used on EOS bodies. It also works with regular F-mount lenses. $_DSC7380-2.jpg

Last edited:

Yes, it can accept Nikon lenses unaltered, except for the addition of an F-0mouint to EF-mount lens adapter. Using Nikkor lenses on a Canon...finally, a way to get some decent optics on a Canon!

DON'T HATE! :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back